Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights Click for Perko Click for Burger

Azimut 55S

Discussion in 'Azimut Yacht' started by Sam Martin, Dec 16, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Sam Martin

Sam Martin New Member

I'm looking at purchasing a 2018 55S.
    I'm just a little apprehensive of the 3 engines?
    Anyone have any issues or concerns?

Thanks
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Welcome to YF.
    Is there a web listing on the boat you are looking at.
    There are some Mut fans here that can help.
    cleanslate likes this.
  3. Liam

Liam Senior Member

The Azimut 55S came from big RandD spending from Azimut with Volvo of over 5 years and a lot of testing. This was the second Azimut with IPS following the 43S launched in 2007.
    The formula of triple IPS was introduced with the 55S in 2012, so on the quality of the project and research done into it, it is a no brainer. Azimut is possible unbeatable in this regard.
    The Azimut 55S can also be driven with two engines if emergency needs it, cruising up to 22 knots.
    The platform is now copied by some other builders, of which Wajer comes first to mind, and since then Azimut has used it on all other S models and the 78 Fly.
    If the system was not so good Azimut would have stopped using it long time ago.

As for the concern what you have is three engines and three IPS drives, versus two of maintenance, although similar size yachts usually have twin 12 or 14 litre diesel engines and the higher costs which comes with such a system. The Azimut 55S if I remember well has really good consumption of something around 6.5 liters per NM at around 25 knots which makes it possibly the best consumption for a 17/18 meter sport yacht in that size. So if you are inclined to cruise some Nautical Miles the maintenance of the drives will cover itself over the miles.
    Sam Martin and chesapeake46 like this.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I have never been one one but I would want to make sure accessibility to the three engines is adequate. Three engines on a 55 footer had to result in a tight ER
  5. Sam Martin

Sam Martin New Member

Not at this time. But when one becomes available I would like to have all my due diligent complete.
  6. Sam Martin

Sam Martin New Member

Thank you for your insight!
    I have read on some sites of a lot of negativity of the Azumut in general with no specific details.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Ask a specific question and maybe we can resolve some of this.
    Some us are the service techs that have worked on many (spilled lots of blood and sweat), of different brands.
    So some bias comes from not owning but servicing and operating (and quickly walking away)..

There are also some happy Mut owners here. Just give them a while to respond.
    Tis da season, ya know.
  8. Liam

Liam Senior Member

You are buying a used boat so it can be surveyed.
    Negativity on Azimut (which is not worse to most other EU yachts) is usually some maintenance accessibility, electrical systems some of which being under-spec, and also some warranty work carried not intended by MM.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Liam brings up MM.
    Some folk here like Marine Max, lots folk do not.
    Marine Max will be your primary contact for support, parts & service.
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I ve never quite understood why MM keeps coming back up regarding maintenance issues on these boats when out of warranty. 90% of the things that require maintenance on a boat are not manufacturer specific but off the shelf parts. Engines and gens obviously but pretty much everything else incl air con, pumps, drivetrain etc

now European made parts maybe a little more difficult to source but nobody is tied to MM

for a boat owner the key to happiness (and substantial savings) is to find independent guys that can do the work
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Correct, out of warranty; nobody is tied to MM.
    OTOH, like you also stated in the same line, some European made parts maybe a little more difficult to source without their help, especially for the OPs 3-4 year old model.
    I remember a few past threads here when the factory did not return calls or request, forcing contacting MM.

I am in complete agreement with you, just like owning a Chevy, others can work on it.
    Nice to draw on the factory dealer some times. IMO, Sadly, it's MM for Mut owners.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

A friend of mine delivered one. The range is very light on the boat and quality not great and then there's the triple pods to deal with and maintain.
  13. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I am a big fan of the principle that all boats are headaches, and while most folks aim at the larger headache they can afford, it's much wiser to stick to the smaller headache that is just large enough for your needs, and not one foot more.

OTOH, I don't agree with your example, because the D6 & IPS package is a glorified example that when it comes to headaches, big things can come in small packages.
    I have seen invoices proving that the ordinary maintenance of one D6 (which is a 5.5 liters engine) mated to the IPS pod is over the years almost 50% higher than the maintenance of one of my 15 liters MAN engine on shafts.
    And that's without even considering that the amount has to be tripled for the Azimut 55s, while of course it's "only" doubled in my similar size boat.
    Not to mention that with pods, if you grab a floating line while cruising, almost surely you must replace of a shaft seal - which is a boat liftout job.

All that said, I agree that in Avigliana they are dàmn good at developing boats which are appreciated by the market.
    They couldn't be the largest boatbuilder of the planet, if they weren't.
    I'm just skeptic that the technical side of R&D is one of the reasons behind that, because there's plenty of other factors (more frivolous arguably, but real nonetheless) driving both builders when developing new boats, and of course also the choices of most buyers.
  14. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

In the last 15 years, I only had to order ONE part from a builder or its dealers. It was a short section of rail on a Taiwan built Johnson 70. Special oval tubing I couldn’t find anywhere. In typical Taiwan fashion the email was replied to within hours and the part shipped within days.

Everything else has been third party suppliers. Even sliding door parts on the Lazzaras ordered and received from Trend in the UK in a week. In many cases specific parts can be replaced by US or US sourced items.
    Sam Martin likes this.
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I still have good contacts in the Pac-Rim also.
    I am still waiting for any responses from a few Med companies. I don't think they like talking to small service identities or end users.
    Yes, usually you can make something work. Just sometimes it would be nice to use exact replacement parts.
    Shipping cost can help decide this dilemma also but you have to check.
    Back to MM, heck, they may have it on the shelf in the states somewhere collecting dust. So you have to call them to find out, but your not tied to them.:D:D:D

Now, let me make sure all knows, I am not supporting MM. These are just comments in shopping for Mut parts.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2021