Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Walker

Azimut 50 fuel consumption

Discussion in 'Azimut Yacht' started by epopov, Sep 29, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. epopov

epopov New Member

Does anybody have the actual fuel consumption figures at different speed levels? I suppose the standard engines are CAT 715? I am thinking about buying an Azimut 50, possibly 1-3 years old, and would really appreciate any feedback that you might have.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have them in an old folder one of my filing cabinets, which would take a little digging. I seem to remember about 45 gph at cruise.......let me check......

Ok 67GPH at WOT 2300rpms
    52 GPH at 2000 rpm's and 87% load factor
    1900-1950 rpms was 45 gph

This as a 2006 50' Azimut flybridge. I want to say cruise was around 24-25 knots at 1950 rpms, and power was C12 660 hp. 715hp would be VERY VERY close and GPM should be the same at the various RPM's.
  3. epopov

epopov New Member

Thanks a lot! Do you own an AZ50? Any pitfalls I should be aware of before committing to it? My narrowed choice is really between AZ50 and Pearl 50 (boat is to be kept in the Med) but AZ seems to score higher on luxury tech stuff (gyro stabilizers, joystick, etc.) plus I've read that, like Sunseeker, Azimut use expensive vinylester resin in their hull construction and resin infusion produces hull laminates of exceptional quality and strength...Hope this explains a considerable price difference of around $150k.
  4. epopov

epopov New Member

also sorry, did you mean imperial gallons (4.54l) or US gallons (3.79l)?
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

All measurements are in US gallons. I managed/ran a 50' Azimut for about a year. It was a pretty good riding hull, but could be wet. The layout was pretty nice on the interior, granted it had a lot of steps. The shorepower goes offline pretty easily if there's any voltage drop or voltage spike. The exhaust bellow (port engine) went bad when the boat was 2-3 years old, and it is common for this exhaust bellow to go bad on Azimuts. It's thin S/S and the bellow and 2 v-band clamps run about $1000 USD.

The boat takes a lot of maintanence to keep it nice aside from waxing the gelcoat, you have a lot of cushions, a lot of s/s, a lot of teak compared to some other offerings. Small parts weren't the easiest to find (latches, keepers, light lenses, etc). The FB dash liked to get water inside of it due to the way it was built. Other than that, the boat was pretty good, the systems were pretty simple, and you could access most things reasonably enough.