Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Delta Click for Northern Lights Click for Furuno

Azimut 40', are there any problems with purchasing an Azimut?

Discussion in 'Azimut Yacht' started by kauch123, Aug 3, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. kauch123

kauch123 New Member

I was thinking about purchasing a 1998 Azimut 40' and was wondering if there are any major problems with this line?

Thanks,
    Ken
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Nothing major that I know, but some are not that well maintained (no crew) so a surveyor is worth the investment. Both the 40´and the 43´of this generation are good looking and popular boats.
  3. kauch123

kauch123 New Member

Hi,

Much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Ken
  4. pbekker

pbekker New Member

is there also any differents between the ones that are built in italy and the ones built in brasil???
  5. elsupremo

elsupremo Senior Member

If I were you, I would definitely invest the time in using the "Search" function of this forum to find threads about Azimut. I've read plenty about that builder on here, some good and some otherwise. Whether or not you choose this brand, you would probably like to read the advice and details from the past experiences of owners, captains, and crew.
  6. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

Run away from this one, I gaurantee it will be nothing but headaches!
    I have quite a bit of real world experience with them, which leads me to give this advice!
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Are you talking of a 1998 Azimut 40´ now and what is the major problem then?
  8. Liam

Liam Senior Member

In my brokerage days I sold a couple of this period 1992 to 1998 line Azimut's a 40, 36, and a 43 of the similar design.
    These models had the hull designed by Bernard Olsenski (same as Princess and Fairline) and had a good ride. The best of this group will always be the Azimut AZ43 Quarantatre (forty three in Italian). That same hull was used for the now stopped in production 46, altough the COG is better with the 43.
    The hardware for this size of boat was always very good, and unless you buy another Italian boat of the time you want find any better. They have already frameless glass too, a nice solid three part patio door, and very well sized cleats. The only cheap thing on the 40 was the inserted teak in the cockpit / aft deck, but this can easily be changed.
    Compared to other similar sized builds the engine room was quite spacious too.
    The hull is a variable shape vee with a deadrise aft of 17 degrees and is about 40 to fore. Power used to be Cats 355hp or Iveco Aifo 400hp. Top speed is about 30 knots with both, altough a well maintained Aifo powered one can peak 32 knots if the engines are well maintained. You should get 25 knots of cruise.
    As usuall if you are buying used I suggest you get a surveryor and that will tell you all you need to know.
  9. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

I had perhaps the only 40 Azimut 1998 listed for sale in North America for the past three years and, likely, is the very same boat the gentleman is concerned with.
    Other than issues induced by vendors unencumbered by the thinking process (leading to a difficult-to-fix fuel leak) and the usual milky spots in the interior varnish (not too visible, unless one knows where to look), the 40 is a great boat.
    There are, as I used to point out to prospective clients, many features found on the larger Azimuts, which I also have had the pleasure to list. Naysayers may point out wiring issues on these boats, but I have found these are related to someone--post OEM--buggering up the electricals with additions and "fixes".

This boat--no longer listed by me--is still for sale in my area.
    BTW, she gets up in a hurry with no vibration or smoke.

In short, she is, as opposed to at least what one poster opined on this thread, a very nice boat.

p.s.: Liam is correct---same issues with the cheap worn teak veneer in the cockpit..thinner than my wallet.