Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko

Autopilot replace placement need advice

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Bcstexas, Jul 16, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Bcstexas

Bcstexas New Member

I own a 1980 Hatteras 43 Double Cabin, I have an autopilot installed but was told it hasn't worked in years when I bought the boat 2 years ago. It does have a pump installed and tied into the steering hoses. It's definitely a vintage unit. I want to replace everything with a new autopilot package without busting the bank. Any advice would be appreciated. I do have the skills to install it myself.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I am a large Simrad fan. My associate is a big Garmin fan.
    It's all expensive.
    Not much has happened with reversing steering pumps in a long time. You may be able to keep your pump.

I do recommend purchase and some install thru a local to you dealer. Warranty is very important for any brand.
    Local techs don't really want to respond if they did not sell and / or install it.
    Local shops don't really want to spend any phone time at al if you purchased it off the web.
    Return to factory is the usual warranty repair then if you have lots of time for turn-arounds..
  3. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

What brand is your existing pump and system? Many of the older units were Robertson. Simrad bought them out and some of the new Simrad stuff will still interface with the old pumps. You might also try to figure out what's wrong with your old unit. There are still quite a few Robertson parts on Ebay or other similar sites.

Like CR, I am a big fan of Simrad. My AP and entire electronics suite is Simrad. But you will get many opinions. Furuno, Garmin, Raymarine, Simrad. It's all pretty decent stuff. If you ask which is better you will get as many opinions as people you ask.
  4. Bcstexas

Bcstexas New Member

Thanks Capt Ralph I've been looking at the Raymarine ACU-150 seems straightforward enough for me to handle, and will interface most of the equipment I have on board.
  5. Bcstexas

Bcstexas New Member

It is an old Robertson unit with a remote handheld control that is DOA, pump looks new and good shape. The old compass unit is nowhere to be found.
    I've been looking at the Raymarine ACU-150 seems straightforward enough for me to handle, and will interface with most of the equipment I have on board.
    Thanks for your reply and any help
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Don't install Raymarine, they are POS. Simrad first choice, furuno second choice.