Click for MotorCheck Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning

Autopilot Compass

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by jlresq, Jun 6, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. jlresq

jlresq New Member

Understanding that installations are different on different boats, I was hoping someone might know where the autopilot compass might be located on my 2001 56. It's a Simrad AP 20 pilot. Tracing the cable from the junction box is not an option as it disappears from the bridge down. Any and all ideas are appreciated.
  2. Maxwell

Maxwell Senior Member

I believe the compass is supposed to be mounted low and near the pivot point of the boat (away from machinery etc that may interfere). I would check any cabin sole access panels and see if it's bolted to a stringer somewhere mid-ship/center line.
  3. jlresq

jlresq New Member

Understood but I was hoping someone might be a bit more specific. I just do not want to rip the boat apart looking for it.
  4. praetorian47

praetorian47 Senior Member

On my 55, its located under the cockpit throttles.
  5. jlresq

jlresq New Member

Thanks. I can check there but a bit disheartening since I know I have not added any ferrous things near there since I bought the boat. Just trying to dial in the AP compass after having calibrated it per the manual but the deviation is not linear so hard to manually set an offset.
  6. praetorian47

praetorian47 Senior Member

I replaced the pilot on my boat last year, switching from an older Raymarine to a new Garmin. It was not a good idea. I had massive calibration problems, Garmin insisted it was location related, and that spot doesn't really look good considering it's near the throttles and the electrical panel but it's been there for 30 years. I went so far as to mount the compass on a wooden post 6' away from everything and still had problems. Eventually Garmin replaced every part of the AP and it worked better.
  7. jlresq

jlresq New Member

Any other thoughts where it might be? Checked under the dinette, forward bunk, mid stateroom bunks and master to no avail. Also not under sofas in salon. Not in ER or on bridges far as I can tell.
  8. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

The problem is that APs are installed after build by whom ever is doing the electronics install, so ultimately itsi up to the individual tech as to where he put. It's expected to be lower center line mid ship but that's not guaranteed.
  9. jlresq

jlresq New Member

Found it. Bottom of master closet in hatch. Moved to under stairs from master. All solved.