Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for Perko Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service

Auto pilot warning

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Dave Stranks, Aug 24, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Dave Stranks

Dave Stranks Member

Just recently in the PNW we had a unfortunate accident.

Yacht crashes into CN second narrows rail bridge - News - North Shore News

Trusting tech too much.
    Its there for a tool and it should always be monitored by the person in charge .Long ago I stopped using the Nav function for automatically following a set course in local waters now I use the pilot function making adjustments as we go manually off the auto pilot, having the hands on keeps you more alert to happening.

On my travels up and down the coast I have had the auto pilot deviate the boat heading several times by it's self and all times over or close to a submerged power cable .
    One place around "Nose Point" Salt Spring island 1 in 3 passes over the area the boat will track 5 >15 degrees off set point before swinging back and once 35 deg. and not swinging back as it happily followed the cable to shore.
    Stay awake and safe

I can only guess that the compass swings from the field generated by the power cable.
  2. Caltexflanc

Caltexflanc Senior Member

Good post. Actually the steel superstructure can have an effect. If for some reason I have the AP on, I turn it off approaching bridges no matter how big.
  3. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

I have experienced similar issues. Any metal structure will affect the compass.
  4. Dave Stranks

Dave Stranks Member

The bridge in this accident is a very low structure
    You have to ask the bridge operator to lift it if you are at high tide and more than 25 feet high just to clear
  5. SFS

SFS Senior Member

And that level of damage is a total loss on a $700,000 boat?
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

There might be a lot more than what's visible on the bow.

If it only hit hard enough to knock folks over and no one who was on the deck got thrown overboard the damage to engine foundations etc is probably minor.

I would think that anywhere over 50% of its value to fix it would cause the insurance co to look at it as a write off.

Depending of course on the actual ticket the insurance co might wipe their hands of it fully.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Doesn't look as bad as a (I think it was a 68) Sunseeker I saw a few years ago up in New Rochelle that hit a barge in L.I. Sound. That was caved flat to the back end of the forward stateroom, and was being repaired. DK how much the insurance company was involved though.

This was definitely the operator's error / inattention. I'd doubt the AP even malfunctioned. On Nav it will +/- follow the course set, but there are many places where the GPS charts are off. Can't tell you how many times entering small harbors and such that my GPS showed me traveling across land. Nothing beats a pair of human eyes watching.
  8. Caltexflanc

Could have well been a combination if things, including the currents.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Nope, that would still be the operator, unless he drifted in on dead engines, and he wouldn't have done that damage on a drift. Seen this too many times. People think that autopilot means it'll drive itself

There's a funny story (not so much for the owner) on Long Island from a few years ago about a guy who left Pt. Jefferson , set his waypoint for Orient Point and went down in the cabin with his girlfriend to "make a sandwich" not realizing that Horton Point sticks out into the Sound just before Orient. He ended up about 200' up on the rocks. Too many people turn their brains off when they get on a boat.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Guess you didn't hear about the 62' Sunseeker Predator that was on Lake Michigan. Guy set it on autopilot at 28 knots and went in the head. Well he didn't set the autopilot far enough out to stay in good water. The boat ran hard aground at 28 knots while he was sitting on the head!!!! Imagine what that felt like in the seat of your pants......LOL

In the rare instances that I'm running a boat by myself. I take it out of gear if I have to leave the helm for any reason.
  11. 1000 islands

1000 islands Member

One of the boaters in our previous marina had a Meridian with Auto Pilot and after a couple of years decided i was a waste of money in the 1000 islands.

It constantly was off course and would send him into islands/shoals/rocks if he didn't compensate.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

That probably was a simple calibration of the compass, or adjusting the response level, and user error.
  13. Liberty

Liberty Senior Member

Sat Compass

Furuno SC30 or SC50 Satellite Compass.

Uses multiple satellite receivers to calculate heading. Fast, accurate and reliable. And of course immune to lumps of iron and/or cabling interference.

Best investment in piece of mind ever.
  14. Caltexflanc

You still don't want one steering your boat via auto pilot going under that bridge. The AP can't respond to the currents fast enough and doesn't see any other boats coming. And if your plotter datum and/or map are off, you can still hit the bridge, currents or no.
  15. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

The moment you think of any piece of equipment as immune from problems and always accurate and reliable, that will get you in trouble. Now as to your recommendation of them to avoid some problems, that's great. Just don't go too far in that. Still anyone depending on an unwatched autopilot to take them through a bridge is irresponsible.
  16. Liberty

Liberty Senior Member

Jees people.

I make a well earned comment about upgrading the inherent reliability of equipment and next thing you're all over me for poor seamanship.

I never said that I thought equipment immune is from failure.

I said that Sat compasses were immune to local magnetic variation, I didn't say to randomly drive around with your head stuck up your a**.

As for using "an unwatched pilot to go under a bridge". Are you drunk?

And no, I don't get that close to anything with engines even in gear, let alone under autopilot.

Lighten up Francis!
  17. olderboater

"Still anyone depending on an unwatched autopilot to take them through a bridge is irresponsible."

That was in no way saying you'd do that. I'm assuming you would not. I didn't intend to imply you would. It was reminding that was what the person about whom this thread was started did and wouldn't matter what system, that is irresponsible. I'm not hypothesizing. It happened. And doesn't matter if he uses Furuno or any other brand.
  18. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

THAT's being polite.
  19. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

So how do you go thru a bridge, in neutral?

Hey.ll you asked to lighten up :)

Seriously this thread should be titled "stupid warning" not "auto pilot warning". There is no excuse to leave the helm un attended while the boat is underway or to go thru bridges and narrow channels on AP
  20. olderboater

Taking that one step further. No excuse being distracted or giving the helm less than your full concentration in those situations. Taking the helm on the open sea is very different than driving a car. However, taking the helm for narrow and winding channels in heavy traffic and for bridges and locks is actually more challenging than a car. There aren't white lines and a well defined road. No stop lights. The predictability of what others might do is far less. You have to monitor a much broader range of area around you. And draft and air draft are entirely additional concepts.