Click for Cheoy Lee Click for CL Yachts Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Northern Lights

ATON survey deleted.....

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by Oscarvan, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

I posted a link to an ATON survey being held by the CG.

Someone immediately assumed it was spam. It was deleted. Not everything is spam. I don't post SPAM, I do my homework. A little research on the moderator(s) part would have helped.

https://www.professionalmariner.com/coast-guard-asks-mariners-to-help-with-aton-survey/

The survey is now closed, I suspect due to it's popularity after making the rounds on the various marine forums. My voice was heard.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I didn't say it was spam. I asked if it might be an attempt at phishing for emails based on the opening page. A question not a conclusion. From what I read on the opening page I wasn't going to click on without knowing.
  3. SeaLion

SeaLion Senior Member

Suspicious perhaps, because link is not an to official USCG site?
  4. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

USCG used Surveymonkey. They are a reputable internet survey company.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Exactly.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

In that case it should have had the CG emblem and header. Taking surveys is a great way to a full inbox.
  7. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Surveymonkey is a tool, the survey is set up by the client, in this case the USCG. The data only went to the USCG. They already have your email.

8. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

While I do believe the USCG set it up, you can't actually be sure of that. Is there anything on their website indicating they did?
  9. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Wasn´t it four years late to post this..?
    ATON Survey of march 2016.png
  10. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

It's closing November 1......
  11. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I disagree. SM is free for users, which means they sell information. The disclosure you posted from their website tells all...

I don't know which of our mods deleted the thread, but I would have deleted it too. We don't permit surveys on YF or redirecting traffic to other sites that can benefit.

BTW Oscar, I didn't see the original post, but as one of our senior members we know you wouldn't spam YF.
  12. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Thanks. This survey was designed by the government to solicit input from the water way users (that's us) and the collected data could possibly affect regulatory changes which in turn would affect us. I thought it was relevant and that WE were the ones that could possibly benefit.

Still maintain the baby was thrown out with the bathwater. I'll leave it at that. We move on.
  13. olderboater

It is relevant and you're free to defend it. However, you've still not submitted one piece of evidence that it actually came from the USCG. Nothing from their site. Carl can relate to you I'm sure how many false releases he receives and the one that Professional Mariner received could have been one. You state so firmly that it was "designed by the government" and I believe it was, but neither you nor I have any proof of that.

That said, I have no problem answering a survey if it doesn't require me to identify myself.
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Already long closed.
  15. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Be cautious of the on line surveys even if they don't openly ask your identity. They could be "phishing" for all your personal info while you're answering their questions. Just saying ....
  16. olderboater

I know and I'm very careful. I go in through a VPN and never disclose any identifying information.