Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Cross Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights

Aspiring designer seeking summer internship!

Discussion in 'Yacht Designers Discussion' started by coismov, Apr 11, 2007.

1. coismov

coismov Member

I am currently a third year Fine Arts student at the University of Southern California and am interested in finding a summer internship in a yacht design firm. I'm mostly interested in exterior styling, but I really want to learn as much of the process as possible. If anyone knows of any opportunities or has any suggestions of firms I could contact it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
    Vance
  2. Londondesigner

Londondesigner New Member

The best advice I can offer is to go into the directory and write off to every feasable Design Studio thats within your geographical limitation. If your free to go wherever, then target Europe or as your first port of call.

Make sure your Portfolio is looking good showing sketching ability as your main area of focus as its the foundation of design. Focus on interior, as well as exterior concepts and try and include plans and abit of tech info preferebly in Autocad. Not all studios use Autocad for tech plans but its mostly the standard. Also mood boards should not be excluded especially when showing off interior work. Some Rhino or Alias ability is also a plus but overall show passion which it sounds like you have.

Include a PDF sample of your work, like a mini-folio, with all your emails including of course your CV.
  3. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Excellent advice from Londondesigner. There are also some yacht design offices in the Seattle area and in Florida.

Kelly