Click for JetForums Click for Glendinning Click for Walker Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking

Apple sat phone

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by maldwin, Sep 7, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. maldwin

maldwin Senior Member

Does anyone know wether the new satphone feature announced at the Apple event for I Phone 14 will work offshore ? I heard US and Canada, but not how far off the coast.
    Best,
    Maldwin
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

It s not a sat phone, it s an emergency sat communication system which from what I read will only connect you to SAR.
  3. Scott W

Scott W Senior Member

I watched the presentation when it aired. While it didn't mention anything specially about a marine environment use case, because of the the directional requirements that are born from the very limited antenna array in the iPhone, I imagine it's going to be very difficult (likely impossible) to get it to work once you leave the dock or dead calm anchorage. The phone has an app that guides users to point the device at a very specific location in the sky in order to connect with an orbiting communications satellite. That would be difficult enough to do in any sea state outside of a bathtub. But, it's even more complicated because that position in the sky isn't stationary. They app guides you to move the phone direction to match the movement of the satellite. As I said, very difficult and probably impossible.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

But between the build in compass, gyro etc it is probably fairly easy to design a graphic interface which will allow the user to keep it pointed to the satellite… could be a game changer for SAR whether on the water or on land.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Upload the L/L and some distress text data. Your not going to have a voice conversation.
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Well that’s the point. Get the position and nature of distress. No need for conversation
    Capt Ralph likes this.
  7. TeKeela

TeKeela Member

Globalstar has plenty of holes in it and while LEO I expect Apple would have been better off teaming with Starlink (a couple hundred miles lower in orbit) like t-mobile did. Carry a more reliable spot for cheap comms in an emergency. Sounds like a sales gimmick that will not come to fruition.