Click for JetForums Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights

AP26 Autopilot w/hydralic seastar power steering

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by CSkipR, May 1, 2016.

1. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Recently, noticed that on auto mode it is not holding a straight line like it has in the past. When I went to Nav mode noticed the same thing but understand its adjusting for wind and current and would have more movement. I only know of one steering fluid reservoir on the port engine and not sure if there is another hydraulic fluid reservoir just for the autopilot that could be the issue.
    Is there an adjustment for this from the ap control pad? When running at cruise should it be in the hi or low mode? I'm assuming low at cruise speed.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

There is not a resevoir for your autopilot pump. Whether it is in Hi or Lo setting depends on sea state and what your looking to achieve. If you want it to respond faster and hold a line better, hit auto twice and put in hi setting.

Your issue is simply a setting in your autopilot. On Simrad, put it the autopilot in auto mode (can be at the dock), then hit the settings/menu button twice (in rapid succession) to get to the menu use the right arrow to go down to "response or sensitivity" and then use the knob to dial up the sensitivity/response (or down) and when done hit the menu button again or auto to go back. I usually set it to hold a somewhat tight course in lo setting at cruise and then hi setting it will hold a very tight course (but without zigzagging left/right) and it responds to adjustments like making a turn faster. If it zig zags, turn the sensitivity/response down. Sometimes I even change the response a few times in the same day if sea state changes, wind off of one side of the boat, or even fuel load on some boats.

I've found there is not one set response level for the same boat. I think of it as trim tabs, and you have to change them as the day progresses depending on fuel load......just not as often with the autopilot.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

4. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Thank you will reduce the response from 3 to 2 and see how that does. Are the wind settings just for sailboats or how do they work? Read manual but not sure what it should be set at.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You want to increase the response if it is slow to react and keep a straight line. For example your course is set at 100 and it slowly drifts to 96 while running and then slowly brings it back, and you're sitting there thinking is it going to turn back to course, is it going to turn back to course, you need more response.

If you have too much response it will keep a straight line but zig zag left and right rather abruptly. I'd ignore the wind settings and only adjust the response.
  6. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Thanks guys. Changed the response from factory default of 3 to 4 and will see how that goes. Will experiment next time out. Read the manual and some parts of the wind settings I don't understand whether they are referring to sailboat or powerboat. When they are referring to "no drift" is that a powerboat setting? How should that be set?
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Do you have a wind vane and interfaced to your A-pilot? If not, ignore that text.
    We do have an old Robertson wind sender interfaced and it does work well when driving to a point.
    I would not call it a necessary item. It seems to help some before cross track error takes over.
    We run LSD most of the time, A planing hull at speed may not see any benefit.