Click for Comfort Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn Click for MotorCheck

Anyone own any Exotic cars?

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by zeeshan66, Aug 13, 2009.

1. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

Sir, I respect your fine taste of cars!

Best luck with a very nice and fun ride.

Cheers,
  2. Grecko

Grecko New Member

One boring Saturday afternoon when we were working on a racing Mini we got the wild hair to stuff all the racing parts under a pink Moke that had a pink and white stripped top with pink tassles that had been service car on a golf course in Palm Beach. In about two hours we had a full house 120 hp 1300 Mini motor with fat 10" Firestone Indy road racing tires stuffed under the Moke... With the racing motor and the very light Moke, we had the power to weight ratio of a Cobra... Then we went out street racing that night.. In those days in WBP you could go out and scare up a street race real easy...

We pulled up beside a big muscle car and the Moke sounded a bit rorty.. The girl in the car was laughing at the "Clown Car" next to us but when the light changed to green we were gone. The race tranny was geared short and we went thru about three gears getting across the intersection, and with race tires and the power we had we could do a hole shot on any muscle car if it didn't have slicks on it.. We backed off before they could catch us and just laughted at them... Man were they mad....

We had a couple of more holeshots on some other muscle cars, but by the end of the evening we couldn't get anybody to race us. We'd pull up beside hot cars and try to taunt the guys, but they wouldn't even look at us, they'd just stare straight ahead... Apparently word had gotten around that there was an amazingly fast little jeep looking thing with pink and white striped top and tassles that would flat haul, and you didn't want to take it on....
  3. MaxPower

MaxPower Senior Member

got one of these ... it's a handful to drive "spiritedly" ...

:)

Attached Files:

4. kkreicker1

kkreicker1 Senior Member

I own several car dealerships I keep the same models in my garage. Range Rover, S-Class AMG (S 63 right now), and now the New SL550. Its a great car and Mercedes did a great job with it.

I feel like ever other Joe Shmo. But not having to buy a car lets me add to my boat collection.

Cheers,
  5. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

They are quite fun, but out of my league for a few years unless business picks up drastically again.
  6. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

What an an outstanding story, and thanks for sharing!

My father used to speak fondly of his Nash Metropolitan. Being friends with Dave Ash, the Bonneville Salt Flats MG racer, he had of course outfitted the Metro's Austin engine with all of Ash's "last run" speed parts while the "next run" parts went on the MG. At dad's wake, old friends were still talking about that Metropolitan... nearly 45 years later!
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Alfa Romeo Brera

Here is my little Brera, next to my motor sailer a couple of days ago. The Brera started as a Giugiaro concept car in 2002 and when Alfa Romeo decided to produce it, Pininfarina redesigned it a bit and produced it in their factory from 2005 to 2010.

Mine is from 2009 when it was built lighter and with an updated interior, a really nice and in my eyes very good looking car, that sadly is no longer produced as this Pininfarina factory was sold to the new De Tomaso owner.

Attached Files:

8. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I love Alfas and the Brera is one of the prettiest they have made in years. It looks really good in white too.

Good choice Lars.
  9. Grecko

Grecko New Member

Probably the inspiration for the song "BEEP BEEP"!!!

The Playmates - Beep Beep Lyrics
  10. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

Nice Brera there Lars. I admire your taste.
    Alfa Romeo is on the top my favorites list.

Cheers,
  11. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

12. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

My latest toy is soon becoming an exotic too, of 667.488 produced, only about 15.000 are still around. Last weekend we had a gathering with 25 of them just south of Stockholm. Mine, to the right, is from 1967..:)

Attached Files:

13. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Those Amazon's bring back memories of Northern Rhodesia and Zimbabwe when I was a kid. They were very popular for the harsh roads, great safety and performance. Not to mention a style all of it's own!
    I am in the hunt for a 1960's Austin Healey, so if that works out I will post here.

Enjoy the Volvo AMG, there is something about the smell,sound and driving of the old cars and the dreams we used to have as kids, like the first time I saw an XK120 drive past while I was hiking down South, I swore I would own one sometime, then I bought a boat.........
  14. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

You are right, it has a little of adventure over it when driving. Even if an Amazon is more reliable than many modern cars...

Attached Files:

15. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Just reading through some of the old posts.

Holy S""t, we own a load of old junk between us all.

All nice stuff, but it takes a bit of work. Much like looking after a yacht.

Madness!!!
  16. RickB

RickB New Member

I've managed to hold captive a 1952 MG TD in my garage for several years.
    I'm in the midst of rebuilding the simple downdraft SU carburetors at this time and am bored with it.

I'll get re-inspired soon. Perhaps a couple of young English dollies in bikinis would get me fired up.

I'm certain my wife would disapprove.
  17. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Aye the Mighty Amazon..
    Owned a 1959 with a 1.6 L engine back in the 70s.
    We used to drive it out in the country side in Norway to party in the small towns, talk to the local girls and drink the local moon-shine when my buddies and I were teenagers.
    The car would loose coolant and overheat on a regular basis and if we were out of water, we'd pee in the radiator just to get a few more kilometers out of it and then hopefully find a creek or lake. it worked, but smelled funny. :D
  18. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

This happened with my first Mini, but we had Orange Lemonade to fill up with. Since the car didn't have a temp meter, we knew from the sweet smell that it was about to overheat..:)
  19. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Nick Murray's Porsche 911...

Better have 911 on speed dial if you buy a new 911...

Nick Murray's problematic Porsche 911 shows the power of a viral video - Autoblog

I feel this guys frustration. I'm posting this to not only increase awareness for our members who fancy a Volkswagen on steroids, but also to add one more social media outlet that increases the exposure of these videos and this blokes plight to make it right!
  20. ddw1668

ddw1668 Senior Member

Last Mid Life Crisis? Stay tuned........

This may be the very last mid life crisis............but I doubt it. Bought my first new Corvette on January 3rd, 1964 and ordered this one on January 3rd, 2014. They have come a long, long way in 50 years and so have I. :eek:

Attached Files: