Click for JetForums Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Comfort Click for Mag Bay

Anyone own any Exotic cars?

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by zeeshan66, Aug 13, 2009.

1. volfkan

volfkan Active Member

thank you,I'm in love with this color
  2. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

You can always go for the example that sold at auction recently... race prepped by Cavallino in Holland, and then subsequently upgraded by Michelotto to well north of 700hp. As great as a 911 may be, I doubt it would match the visceral experience of that F40.
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Visceral is a good descriptor for the F40. It’s a race car with plates. I rode in one about 15 years ago. Cured me from craving what I couldn’t afford anyhow. Nice car to look at but I’d much rather have Volfkan’s GT3!
  4. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

After a year and a half of waiting on Toyota Canada I got fed up with getting the runaround and instead found the Subaru twin in stock locally and picked it up yesterday.

While perhaps not "exotic", it's certainly among the purest sports cars available. I've seen them referred to as a "Porsche for the masses"... which seems to offend some of the Porsche crowd.

Basic: rear wheel drive, naturally aspirated, 6 speed manual transmission. No gadgets, no "drive modes", no throttle blips, no adaptive dampers, steering, or anything else. It's an uncompromising, what-you-see-is-what-you-get, sports car.
    IMG_20230620_090940_(800_x_1000_pixel).jpg
    Fishtigua and YachtForums like this.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

what a true sports car should be.
  6. YachtForums

Analogue trumps digital. Less is more!
  7. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I find such statement more offensive for the Subaru/Toyota crowd.
    Porsche for connoisseurs would be more appropriate! :cool:
  8. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

Can't we all just drive mapism:), the P car for connoisseurs/purists is more likely the Carerra T model or the 718 Cayman manual gear box base model.

Congrats on the new ride for sure Kevin

Other than badging is there any significant difference?

I guess one would like the GR badging as that is more represented in the last 24H of Le Mans

None the less you have a fun new car.
  9. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

There's actually a surprising number of manual + RWD 911s left... Carrera T, Carrera S, Carrera GTS, and the GT3. (Though only the GT3 is normally aspirated.)

Individual front and rear damper settings. The Toyota has a 7-percent lower front spring rate and an 11-percent higher rear spring rate compared to the BRZ. The Subaru uses a hollow front sway bar (18.3 mm), Toyota has a solid 18-millimeter unit. The rear bar on the Toyota is 15 mm, one millimeter thicker than the Subaru. The Subaru uses new mounting points for the rear sway bar located directly to the unibody, rather than on the subframe where Toyota’s mounting points lie. The BRZ also includes aluminum front knuckles and stiffer rear trailing link bushings versus steel knuckles and carry-over bushings on the GR 86.

The differences are supposedly only noticeable near the limits, ie: track driving conditions. On the street the BRZ is slightly more compliant, which on Quebec roads is a massive plus. o_O Not sure how long mine will stay stock though, so half the above differences may be moot by next summer.
    gr8trn likes this.
  10. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Sadly they have dropped the 2.4 BRZ in the UK. We have to import from Japan to get a RHD one and then spend an extra $800 to undercoat/waxing it after the shipping fees.
  11. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

I heard about that back when they first launched... it was always going to be a one-year deal for the UK. Something about crash test standards? Or something else?

At least you can import what you want, if you have to. North Americans can' only import Japanese cars 25 years after their production. :rolleyes:
  12. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

I think this may be the first footage of the 911 Dakar in customer hands:

Don't mind me over here, just geeking out at people treating supercars inappropriately. :D
  13. YachtForums

CCR's Fortunate Son is an ironic soundtrack... you would indeed be fortunate to have the Dakar. My questions is how many dandelions and daises were harmed in the making of this video?
  14. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

The 911 Dakar is my new favorite lawn tractor! And since the suspension height is adjustable from the cockpit you can adjust your mowing length on the go. :D

In other Porsche news, I ran across an old acquaintance over the weekend... a person I have long generally disliked for numerous reasons, but who unfortunately I share a few friends with... and he has a new 718 Boxster. In and of itself I wouldn't really care, but he's so utterly irritating of an individual, I can now never buy a 718. He's ruined that entire car for me.

I just have to work harder and get a 911 one day. o_O
  15. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

I know we have some members here that appreciate Morgans...

Well, the achingly beautiful and eternally classic Super 3 is coming to America.
    [​IMG]

How good would one of these look in a tender garage (color matched livery to go with the yacht in question, of course)?
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Ahh, Err, Ohh, Well,,,
    I'll stay with my polished Bruce anchor.
  17. YachtForums

I dunno… if you ask me that Morgan has a face only a mother could love.

Getting back to P-cars, fans say the 718 is actually a better track car than the 911 because the engine is more midship mounted. All I know is it has hatchback trunk, a feat no 911 will ever accomplish.
  18. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

On the other hand, it has no backseat, whereas both my dogs could sit behind me in a 911.

911 GT3 RS vs 718 GT4 RS:
  19. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

I'm with you Kevin, 911 over the Cayman. I understand the track potential of the mid engine but I am not a track guy so for a daily driver and grand touring road trips, I would go 911.
  20. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Not mine, but pretty exotic..
    IMG_6506.jpeg
    Fishtigua and lobo like this.