Click for Glendinning Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder

Anyone own any Exotic cars?

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by zeeshan66, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

This Wagon is somewhat exotic: Only 2% of Mercedes Benz buyers purchase the Station Wagons, or Estate as they say in the old countries, my 2019 E-450.

5EABA88E-C572-4A88-A062-5D14AF43752D.jpeg
    Kevin likes this.
  2. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

I don't actually need another SUV... the 4Runner will be sticking around.

What started me looking at Porsches - the Cayman specifically - is that I am getting sick and tired of waiting for the GR86 I ordered in March of last year (which was supposed to arrive within 10-12 weeks). It's not like I'm waiting for something "exclusive" or rare... it's a $30,000 dollar Toyota! :rolleyes: I've found lightly used 2nd gen Caymans (987) for roughly the same price, with well under 100,000kms... just 2-3 years of relative driving for me.

Do I want to daily-drive a 15 year old car, summer and winter? Dunno'.

I'll wait 'til the snow melts...
    gr8trn likes this.
  3. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

That Toyota has been lauded by the press for sure, no wonder you have to wait.
    GR86, what does it mean?
    Note, my screen name is gr8trn. the gr8 is for great, the trn is for turn. From my old ski instructor days, we were obsessed with makeing GR8 Turns. I still am, but that is another subject.

I'm guessing Great 6 as in 6 cylinder, but isn't that car a 4 banger?
  4. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

GR for Gazoo Racing, Toyota's motorsports division: https://toyotagazooracing.com/

86 in reference to the AE86 model of the mid-80s, a lightweight, rear-drive performance model in the Corolla line-up of that era, famous in multiple disciplines of motorsports.
    gr8trn likes this.
  5. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

Thanks for the education and link. Never been a toyota fan, nothing against it at all just not been on my radar.
    0-100km/h in just over 6 seconds is by no means slow, I imagine the boxster style horizontal cylinders keeping the COG low allowing for twisty road fun is more of the attraction.
    Not to mention Toyota's historical reliability. Like your 4Runner.

Is this not the same as the Subaru BRZ?

Evo auto journalists did put the GR86 in 4th place for best of 2022, they love it.
  6. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Yes, on the same chassis as the Subaru, it was a joint venture with Toyota. The BRZ was underpowered from the 2.0 flat-4. So Toyota bored the engine out and added decent suspension and tyres. They didn't add a turbo or supercharger due to cost and complexity.

Just a shame it's being built in such tiny numbers.
  7. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

First generation BRZ/FRS(Scion)/GT86(Toyota) were all the same... the 2.0L flat four had a somewhat flawed tune resulting in a torque dip right in the powerband where you need torque the most. Wrung out to redline you didn't feel it as much, but who wants to drive at redline all day long?

The second generation, 2022+, is again a fundamentally shared design, though the engine was opened up 20%, and properly tuned this time. (The aforementioned torque dip on the previous generation could be eliminated with some deft programming and time on a dyno... nobody knows why this wasn't done at the factory.) Subaru and Toyota went in different directions with some finer elements though. Subaru put a Cusco LSD in theirs, while Toyota went with Torsen, The throttle pedal response is slightly more aggressive in the GR86, as is the suspension. The BRZ erred on the side is neutral steering and comfort, while the 86 is mildly tail-happy and a little less refined on imperfect roads. Car & Driver did a nice video showing how much "personal engineering" the two brands put into their respective models: LINK
    gr8trn, Fishtigua and Norseman like this.
  8. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Can't blame anyone for not noticing Toyota.... they did go through a decade or two of making cars that could be mistaken for appliances. Thankfully the current president Akio Toyoda (and grandson of the company founder) is an absolute petrol-head. Every cool vehicle that the company has produced over the past 15+ years is entirely thanks to him. Heck, he started racing in 2007 with the Lexus LF-A at the 24 Hours of the Nürburgring under a pseudonym because certain people back home in Japan thought it was irresponsible for the president to be out racing cars. He still competes when he can. He went as far as to appoint himself as an official test driver for their performance division (the GR cars) and at one point wrecked one on their private test-track, got out and stated that he "didn't like the feel of it".

And a small correction, evo ranked the GR86 2nd in their recent Car Of The Year issue, behind only the Maserati MC20. It ranked ahead of the Merc AMG SL55 (Sorry Lars), the BMW M4CSL, the Audi R8 V10, the Porsche Cayman GT4 RS, the Ferarri 296 GTB, and the McLaren Artura.
    Fishtigua likes this.
  9. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

No problem as long as it was not ahead of my AMG E36... but in fact, I like Toyota and was doing the advertising for them in Sweden in the 70:s. Then the Celica was the hottest we got..!

Celica ST.jpeg
    Kevin likes this.
  10. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Oh, that looks so good!
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Just a skinny AMX..
    1969_AMC_AMX_red_with_white_stripes.jpg
    During the late 70s/early 80s, I learned how to keep a load full of block and sand in the trunk.
    Never, never, never give it the gas at a wet stop line.
    Ser # 00550. I miss that car.
    chesapeake46 likes this.
  12. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

We always had Mercedes cars in our family. Below a few examples:

My fathers car, the famous Mercedes 600

mercedes-600.jpg

I remember my fathers driver opening the rear door for him with lifting his cap and my father entering the car with his hat on and smoking a big cigar. During the ride to his office, he was always reading the newspaper.

My grandfathers car, the so called Adenauer Mercedes 300

300-d-W-186.jpg

My grandfather never drove his cars. He was always riding in the back being chauffeured.

Next my mothers early 190 SL. The hardtop could be removed with a pulley and was hanging under the roof in the garage during summer.

190-SL-W-121.jpg

Later she got the Mercedes 250 SL Pagode. Same procedure with the hardtop during summer

230-sl-Pagode.jpg

My much older brother had the famous Mercedes 300 SEL 6.3, the fastest sedan in Europe at that time. As a young boy I got caught by him, driving his holy car around on our property. He pretty much beat me up for it.

Mercedes-Benz-300-SEL-6.3.jpg

I still get driven by my driver to the office but without smoking a cigar and wearing a hat and nobody is lifting his cap for me :).

Btw. All of the above cars are still in my little collection, have been restored to as new condition by Mercedes and are all fully certified for being driven on public roads. Even the famous Porsche Diesel has a license plate.
    gr8trn, MM3, Norseman and 1 other person like this.
  13. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

The evo test in question:

38 beautiful minutes... a feast for the eyes and ears.
  14. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

This one is pretty exotic, blonde owner and all...
    7037ED7A-61B7-4F5F-9570-7470F81BC33E.jpeg
  15. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

The new Gordon Murray T50 0n the road.

16. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

New Ontario Provincial Police Car
  17. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

This guy have some exotic cars, now for sale;

Barnfind NL.jpeg
  18. volfkan

volfkan Active Member

15 year same car use after finaly new car,but still forme best car range rover l322
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    new home, new car, next step spor yacht ))
    Kevin and strat57 like this.
  19. volfkan

volfkan Active Member

monaco f1 2023
    1.jpg
    not my f40 ))
  20. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Color on that GT3 is electric! An awesome track car Volfkan. Congrats!! I can't say the same for the F40. By today's standards, not very fast.
    volfkan likes this.