Click for Comfort Click for Nordhavn Click for Cross Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay

Anyone own any Exotic cars?

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by zeeshan66, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The only thing I never liked about the series 1 and 2 was the narrow track and the overhang beyond the wheels. I know. Picky picky :)

the covered headlights though are amazing. It s a very refined compound shape that stands out among all other similar covered headlights

when I restored my series 3 about 3 years ago, I had the bonnet modified to series 1 specs.

before and after

Attached Files:

YachtGal and rocdiver like this.
  3. Rusty Mayes

Rusty Mayes Member

Daily driver is a Masserati Quatroporte, not terribly exotic but it is a kick in the ass to drive. I have a 55 MGTF with a 67 Alfa Romeo 1600 cc power train
    and a 69 Alfa Romeo spider, currently in project mode. I drove it thru college and could not bring myself to sell it. I am not sure that I will ever bring myself to finish the restoration but who knows?
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

We have 2 80s spiders and an 81 GTV6. The early spiders are worth restoring, heck even the later ones have really gone up in prices over the last few years.
  5. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Found an old photo of Mum, Dad and Grandpa's Alfa Romeo Bertone 1300. 1600 and 1750 GTVs. Not many families owned 3 Alfas at once in the 1970's, they were rather pricey.
    Alfa 3.jpg
    Capt Ralph and Kevin like this.
  6. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Here is an exotic design I did a couple of days ago, hybrid 4x4 of course....
    Supercar1.jpg
  7. Rusty Mayes

Rusty Mayes Member

IMG_2657 (1).jpg
    This was one of the last photos I have of my alfa before I broke it down for restoration in the late 80s, It has been an on and off again project ever since. It really just needs a little more body work and paint and can be reassembled. I have most of the major upgrades done on the 506 so maybe this will be the year that I will get the Alfa back on the road.
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

And what about the Super Cub..? ;)
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I was just about to ask about the Cub … nice

speaking of Alfas… two of ours
    D8549112-CD8E-4E31-8ED0-3E47E4CB3C1A.jpeg B1965346-959A-4DF1-980D-EF3D59AA602B.jpeg
    Fishtigua likes this.
  10. Rusty Mayes

Rusty Mayes Member

Super cub is still in the family, My twin brother has a glider port in Williams CA and is deals in the exotic German Sail planes of Alexander Schleicher. He still has the Super Cub in the fleet of tow planes. I did my first solo in it and both of his boys learned to fly in the cub. It will remain in the family for another generation at least.
  11. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

This is great to hear, I think planes should stay with the owners so you really know the history...
  12. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

I am flying gliders from the Alexander-Schleicher company since my 13th birthday up to today. Presently I have 2 self launching Schleicher open class sailplanes, a ASH 30 Mi and a ASH 31 Mi. Very high quality, high performance aircraft with absolutely harmonic flight characteristics. In combination with their climate controlled Spindelberger Cobra trailer, they last for ever.

And I do love the Pa-18 also. A tail dragger divides a real pilot from the rest of the crowd of 172 flyers. I started my training for my private pilot license with an age of 16 on a Piper J-3 C. A 65 HP aircraft without electric starter, no electrics and no radio. Air speed indicator, altimeter, VVI and wiskey compass, plus RPM indicator and oil/cht indicator. Fuel quantity was indicated with a little glas tube in each wing route.

Later my first powered aircraft in the military was the Piper L-18 with 90 HP, still no electric starter but with radio and minimal electrics.

My glider club had a 150 HP Piper Pa-18 Super Cub for glider towing. I collected a lot of flying hours in it, towing gliders.

Today I have a Aviat Husky with 180 HP for towing my gliders for practise, as the Pa-18 is not built anymore. When I get towed, either my son or my oldest daughter are flying the Aviat Husky.

But a tail dragger is still real flying and the Piper Pa-18 in all versions, is a true classic.

Piper_J3 c-65.jpg
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Soon after getting my license, my air club outside Paris got a Cub. 65hp no electrics. What a delight to fly. On summer evenings with late sunset I would take it to various grass strips and do touch n gos. Loved the feeling of tires kissing the grass! Memories Early 80s
  14. Rusty Mayes

Rusty Mayes Member

The ASH 31 MIs are amazing functional art for sure. My brother is the sole distributor for Alexander Schliecher for the US. He waited for decades for the opportunity to represent and support the product. He owned and operated only AS sailplanes in his operation for thirty years out of loyalty to the brand and was so rewarded when the distributorship became available. I stopped flying the sailplanes when we split the business and I developed a traditional FBO and flight school in the early 90's but prior to that flew the ASK 21s and 20s. I have since sold the FBO and transitioned into teaching at an AMT school and have taken up boating as my primary past time activity.
  15. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Kevin, we all love a Rally car. But a Mini Metro?

Kevin likes this.
  16. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

I may be a little weird, I know this... I even embrace it. But it absolutely warms my heart to know that Porsche understands me, and even thinks that there are at least 2499 other people in the world as weird as I am.

Words cannot describe how utterly happy this makes me.

Now, what can I sell... as I'm a mere ~$200k short.
    gr8trn likes this.
  17. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

I’m saw that today and I get it. Glad Porsche gets you. My wife said cool, looks awesome, thane I showed her the $222,000 base price, wait what?! But hey, you have 22,000, just don’t tick to many options boxes and you are one 200k short:)
  18. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I don't know enough about the suspension geometry of a 911 to ask this question, but why not modify an older 911 with a lift system and larger wheels?
  19. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Already been done: https://www.drivestraat.com/detail/Custom-Porsche-911_411

Or for those of us with shallower pockets: https://vgb-essentials.com/collections/all/products/porsche-safari-kit

However, the Dakar is something entirely different, not just a lifted suspension and knobby tires. The height is adjustable by 30mm from inside the cockpit: 50mm higher than stock at the lowest setting, and 80mm when raised for offroad - up to 170km/h (105mph) - at which point it automatically drops back down to the 50mm setting. The drivetrain is derived from the Carrera 4 GTS, but with added cooling from the Turbo S. Other parts are stolen from the GT3 (carbon hood, roll-cage), plus there a collection of bespoke parts like the underbody stainless steel skidplates, revised front bumper with added protection for the cooling plumbing, and even a factory installed 12v plug on the roof to facilitate wiring a light bar, which can also be integrated into the Porsche designed roofrack seen in the TopGear video.
  20. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

We've decided to thin our stable, so I'm auctioning our 57 Nash Metro and 69 Camaro on Bring a Trailer.