Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Glendinning Click for Mag Bay Click for Cross Click for Abeking

Anyone own any Exotic cars?

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by zeeshan66, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

I think the only people that really complained about the size are those who thought "2+2" actually meant 2 adults up front, and 2 adults in the back. :D
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Makes you wonder why they even bothered. The backseat is barely big enough for a bag of groceries!

Currently purging bounced emails from the database. Took all weekend to work through 2018. Spent yesterday doing 2017. Started on 2016 this morning. Hoping to finish 2016 by this evening. Copy, paste, delete and repeat about a thousand times a day. Uhg!

The 2020 Supra is a nice distraction. Haven't seen this much buzz about a car in awhile.
  3. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

It'll fit kids, and even car seats and boosters.

Also, more importantly... you can fit a full set of track-use wheels and tires (as well as a small jack and neccesary track-day tools) in the car.
  4. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Watching Barrett Jackson tonight and Serial yacht owner (great for our industry) John Staluupi just paid $2 million dollars for a 2020 serial #1 Toyota Supra. I guess you could say he "donated 2 million dollars to the cause of ownership". That would be juuust a tad over sticker price of $60,000 fully optioned.
  5. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

If Mr. Staluppi needs someone to properly care for, maintain, and regularly drive his $2.1 million Supra I'd be happy to take on the responsibility. :)
  6. YachtForums

Excellent documentary! This should remove any concern about the Supra's underpinningsā€¦.

7. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

I never really understood the "concern" people had in the first place.

It became apparent relatively early on that it was going to be it's own car - despite sharing a platform - not just a rebadged BMW. And personally I don't find the shared platform to be a bad thing. The BMW M cars have long been considered the best performance coupes/sedans in their respective classes. The M3 (now M4) has for years been the standard by which the competitors are measured.

Why be concerned about that?

The reality is that in the 21st century nobody can afford to produce a small volume sports car at a reasonable price without finding some way to spread the development costs.

Anyone complaining that Toyota should have developed a new sports coupe from scratch, entirely in-house, should be ready to pony up the cash to support that...

Oh wait, they can. It's called a Lexus.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  8. YachtForums

Given Toyota's enormous resources and the legendary Supra badge, you can bet everything about this car was carefully considered, from manufacturing to marketing. While Toyota purists scoff, the reality is Toyota is showing how a smart company develops a product, one that may be electrified over time. Doesn't make fiscal sense to invest in ICE tooling that will be obsolete when (or if) an E-version debuts. Pure conjecture on my behalf, but a reasonable assumption.

Agree with all your points Kevin.
  9. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I got a nice exotic last week, unfortunately just in 1:12. But anyway, the Lancia Stratos, winner of San Remo 1976 is still a winner...

Stratos 76.jpg
  10. YachtForums

Nice Lars! I wish I wasn't old enough to remember how desirable the Lancia Stratus was!!
  11. YachtForums

My garage has been whittled down to a pocket-sized collection of ultra low maintenance NSXs...

Attached Files:

• NSX.jpg
      NSX.jpg
      File size:
      29.3 KB
      Views:
  12. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

As platform sharing goes, did you know the RangeRover Evoque 4X4 is a Ford Focus chassis under the skin? Shocked me.
  13. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

I'd heard the same, but looked it up and found this:

14. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

One of my old Volvo Penta customers was very high up in the Land Rover design department. Every time he came in I would bombard him with questions about up-coming models. He was very quiet about the Evoque and the new Velar, but spot on with his winks and nods while saying nothing.

He has been very, very silent on the new Defender!!!
  15. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Well if I was responsible from taking this legend...
    [​IMG]

And turning it into this travesty...
    [​IMG]

I'd mask my embarrassment with silence too.
  16. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

50,000 Africans have bought Toyota Land Cruisers instead of waiting for that rubbish.
  17. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

After a full restoration I finally got my 1972 E-type back yesterday... Pretty much rebuilt everything incl the V12 and 5 speed gearbox, fixed a lot of rust etc etc In the process I converted the open headlights to the original covered headlights of the earlier models...

6DFDE7AD-C44D-4353-9B9C-55299DE2A1A3.jpeg

7AB3A14F-096C-407F-A2C1-F51994614A67.jpeg

90DE7EAE-2E58-4AF5-9E56-B3B765930D5A.jpeg
    YachtForums likes this.
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Oh Wow. She looks great.
  19. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Spectacular restoration!
  20. YachtForums

Stunning!!! Enzo always said the E-type was his type! The profile looks like a modern day CFD exercise. ;)

Can I ask how many hours you have into the restoration, or would that make you cry?

Attached Files: