Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Delta Click for Perko Click for Nordhavn

Anyone own any Exotic cars?

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by zeeshan66, Aug 13, 2009.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

1930 Studebaker
    This car is (was now) owned by a friend of a friend. When it first appeared around the corner of his house I thought it was some older, modified RR or similar. It certainly caught me by surprise that it was a Studebaker !!:eek:

It had been redone by a guy who really did a suberb job, including the Corvette engine inside, and other modern attributes. Drove fantastic.
    View attachment 72341
    View attachment 72342

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    strat57 likes this.
  2. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

a few pics of that Studebaker

Attached Files:

strat57 likes this.
  3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi Brian,

That Studebaker is almost the same as one my Grandfather had at the time, my dad is at the back door.... :)

Studebaker800.jpg
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

5. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

6. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Silly money since the psychedelic artwork is not the original, but replicated...
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

LOLOLOL I agree, but I think LSD was the drug of choice for Janis Japlin when driving that car!
  8. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

What a way to ruin a Porsche.
  9. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

As Carl knows, and some others here may have figured out from my past posts, I'm really into rallying. Unfortunately it's an expensive endeavor that's out of my income bracket, so I do the next best (dumbest?) thing...

Organize events! (or at least, 2 of the 6 in the Canadian championship each year)

On the bright side, this means I get to spend a lot of time driving on the stage roads in the days and weeks leading up to the event. On the down side, it explains why my WRX looks a little more second-hand than it should after 6 years. :rolleyes:

Below is the Subaru Rally Team Canada highlight reel from last year.

0:00 - 1:07 is from the first event of the year, which is one of "mine", as is 4:02 - 4:51 (which is where the vast majority of my squeaks, rattles, and loose bits come from....)

10. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

which is where the vast majority of my squeaks, rattles, and loose bits come from....)

Yes, yes, this is the exotic cars section, didn't lose my way.... All wonderfully splendid and whacko and rich in tech & rarity--and maybe I missed it in the preceding eleven pages, but, to this poor redneck, there is something... exotic...about...BEATERS.
    You wealthy folks may never have experienced the rich pageantry of driving what might be rightly termed, however crassly, a POS Beater.
    They are, at least in my upscale neighborhood, quite rare, as we are populated with newish Bimmers, tons of Lexi, Land Bruisers of all marques, even the odd newish Saab.

My exotic happens to be a 1999 Chrysler 300M--that's the 'Jelly Bean', as opposed to the 'Ghetto Bentley' which replaced it circa 2003, when Your Daughter the Doctor was still in high school. And who likely never had the driving experience behind the wheel of a genuinely rare POS Beater. Production of this model was for all of three years?
    Mine:
    148,000 miles. Clear coat (over off-white) probably ran off with a garbage truck, oh, six years ago. But, no rust! Anywhere! Last wash was back during Obama's first term--but the W/S, backlight, and side windows are freshly Rain-X ed regularly. Loose change would find it's way not behind the seats, but, rather, in the seats as the upholstery is properly tattered for optimum effect. Does not burn a drop of oil (still crawl underneath with the aid of a floorjack and change with Walmart's finest SAE 30.) Filter only every second oil change as advised by my old boss at a Goodyear garage back in 1970. Tires are half-bald--may have to run to Sears for some cheapo Korean baloneys come rainy season. Wipers are fresh for that reason alone.
    No dents,,,gotta keep up my image!
    Mechanically perfect, maintained by Frankie the mechanic over at Massey-Yardley Dodge ( I have met and shaken hands with Herb Yardley who, as I recall, was doing TV ads back in the '60s!).

"Click and Clack", the hilarious Magliozzi Brothers on their radio show, used to poke fun at Chrysler products, chuckling about the "questionable build quality". They were spot-on. Chrysler constructed this fine vehicle and the dealer completed the build. You don't see that kind of attention to quality anymore!

This was the last car my Dad ever bought and I accompanied him at time of purchase at M-Y. He loved this car, and he's gone now. It'll be tougher to have a conversation with him, when this heap drops it's load in the road, from the cockpit of an Accord.
  11. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

12. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes, if I didnĀ“t already have my G500, and I agree with you on the Bentley, I wouldn't take it over any of my winter vehicles...

IMG_6651.jpg
  13. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

I have got my first G model in 1978 and ever since, I had one. The Mercedes G model is still "the mother of all SUVs" made in Europe (Not only my opinion but most European Offroad magazines say the same). Most of todays SUVs are just softened grossery getters. I would either take a Land Rover Defender (out of production) or a G 350 or G 500. I agree with Kevin about the G350 professional being the best expedition car but the G350 Professional is certified as a truck in Germany and therefore speed limited.

Mercedes_G500.JPG

What did the old Chinese say: "Anything else is rubbish!" :)

mercedes-clase-g-adf-4.JPG

How about one of those

Life is too short, to drive a bad car.
  14. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Yeah I've been following that project since it was first hinted at. Whereas the previous records were set by Subarus that were basically street cars with "track day" type mods, they've taken a big step towards a "time attack" setup this time. WRC engine unfettered by regulations and air restrictors, active aero, and I'm certain a list as long as my arm of other great go-fast bits. :D

Also, Mark is a madman! :confused: His placement of that car on certain sections of the circuit is leaving on fractions of an inch to spare.
  15. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

There's an original (not replica) Camel Trophy Defender for sale in my area... what a beast. I fear the replacement Defender (whenever it comes out) may not be a true successor. Who knows though, maybe Land Rover will stay true to the roots of the name?

Speed limits are a relative thing... in Canada the speed limit on the highway is 100 km/h anyway, so a limited "truck" wouldn't affect me.
  16. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

R8.jpg 2015 Audi R8 V10 Competition -- This photo was taken in the light room at Orlando Audi where they detailed the car before delivery. It's absolutely the smoothest, sweetest car I have ever driven.
  17. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

A video was uploaded today of a more leisurely (but still absurdly fast in places, all things considered) run through the course, with Mark narrating to 3 passengers in a stock STi.

18. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Having owned several Land Rovers and Range Rovers over the years, I hope the new one is true to the go-anywhere chunkiness of the original.

http://indianautosblog.com/2016/06/2019-land-rover-defender-rendered-234453
  19. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

I was invited to the 2016 Airbus Military Family Day at the Ingolstadt Airport last Saturday. This former military airfield is among other facilities, hosting the German Eurofighter production plant. I took my CJ2 for the 45 min trip down to Bavaria. After landing, guest arriving with their own aircraft like me, were picked up by this Follow me car:

IMG_1533.JPG
    An Audi R8 Plus (610 HP, 330 Km/h top speed). I would call that an real exotic car. This was the first time I was picked up by a Follow Me that could have run away from my Jet during take off roll :).

Btw. Nice airshow with some great planes and helicopters but the planes of the Messerschmitt Historic Flight were my favorite.

IMG_1544.JPG

This Me-109 and the Me-262 behind were in the flying display. But the 109 was the only plane, that could have topped the sound of the Audi R8 Follow Me car :D. The Follow Me driver told me, that because of the warning light on the roof of the R8, the car was only capable of doing 310 km/h. What a shame!!! P.S. They also had a Audi R8 Highway Police car and an Audi RS 6 Quattro Station Wagon as an Emergency Doctor Car driving around. P.S. Ingolstadt in Bavaria is the home town of the Audi company.

More pictures on Jetforums.net (One more forum really worth watching !!!!!!)
  20. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

That -109 is fantastic looking! The German fighters were never quite as slick looking as the Allied fighters, but they almost always looked meaner.