Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service

Anyone know what kind of Chris Craft this is?

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Connies, Commanders & Catalinas' started by John Burley, Dec 20, 2018.

1. John Burley

John Burley New Member

Benedictine & Brandy014.jpg Benedictine & Brandy015.jpg Benedictine & Brandy018.jpg Mrs Wonderful019.jpg

These are 2 Chris Craft boats that belonged to my father in law. One I believe is a 1962 41ft Chris Craft (Benedictine and Brandy). The other I am not sure.

Can anyone tell me what model and/or year these are?

I am looking to find any information, brochures, model, etc for my wife. It would make her very happy.

The first 3 are Benedictine and Brandy and the one underway is Mrs. Wonderful.

Thanks!
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2018
  2. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

The first photo looks like a 43' Pacemaker from the early 60's. It's not a Chris Craft. The second photo looks like the transom of this same yacht. The third photo looks like some other yacht entirely. The fourth is a mid-late 60's 30-something Chris Constellation that is currently on the hard at the marina where my office is located. I'd need my Chris Craft Essential Guide book to tell you the year and model, but I would guess she's a 1966 or 1967 30 or 31 footer.
  3. John Burley

John Burley New Member

Thank you so much! I can't tell you how much I appreciate you investing your time to share this insight.

I was told the third photo was the same boat as the first two photos, but was questioning it as well, so thank you for that confirmation.

The Chris Constellation that is on the hard at the marina where your office is located - are you saying that could be the same boat? Or, one like it?

Thanks again.
    John
  4. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Looks like that exact boat. Same name.
  5. John Burley

John Burley New Member

Mrs. Wonderful?

Where is it? Do you know the owner? Is it for sale?

I doubt we would actually want to buy it, but you never know. If my wife could even just show my kids their grandfather's boat, that would be amazing. A Christmas miracle, you might say.
  6. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Hi John, It was nice speaking with you today. I'm pleased that I could help. Let's keep in touch.
  7. John Burley

John Burley New Member

2018-12-23 10.30.04.jpg 2018-12-23-10.21.49-small.jpg 2018-12-23 23.32.06.jpg
    Eric,

Thank you so much for your help. Since I spoke with you Saturday late afternoon, a lot happened. I drove 1.5 hours to Kent Narrows. On the way, I spoke with George who restored the boat, who connected me with the owner. By the time I reach Kent Narrows, I was on the phone with the owner and then looking at the boat. Sure enough, it's the one - my father-in-law's previous boat, a 1965 30' Chris Craft Constellation. Soon after, I was having a nice conversation with the owners, who are great people. I left their home as the new owner of Mrs. Wonderful. I framed the photos and title and gave them to my wife for Christmas late that night. She was so happy, she was in tears. We went to see it the very next day and already started cleaning her up. A lot happened in that 12 hours since we spoke! When I said earlier "a Christmas miracle" I think that was about right. My wife and kids are very happy. Thank you so much for investing your time in helping me. My family appreciates you. I hope you have a happy and blessed Christmas.

See attached photos from yesterday. The one with the text is from my daughter's Snapchat post.
  8. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Hi John,

I can't tell you how pleased I am! I have been looking at that boat since she went on the hard, wondering what would become of her. She's certainly been well loved over the years, along with the more recent shot-in-the-arm restoration. Based upon the photos on the restorer's website, that was not an inexpensive project. She needs cosmetics now, and perhaps more but she should be quite manageable to get back in shape. I'm delighted that I have been able to play a small part in getting her into the hands of a new caring steward. Even better that your family has history with this boat.

Cheers!
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    John Burley likes this.
  9. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

I love a happy ending !:)
    John Burley likes this.
  10. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

My favorite story of 2018.
    John Burley likes this.
  11. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

This proves once again the powerful resource that is YachtForums.
    John Burley likes this.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

A+
    John Burley likes this.
  13. Brian G

Brian G Member

Great story. A lost boat has found its way back home.
    John Burley likes this.
  14. John Burley

John Burley New Member

@SeaEric

Thank you again, so very much, for helping us find this boat. I can't even begin to explain how life-changing this was. We truly appreciate you!

Here is an update:

After some clean-up, draining fuel, etc., we soaked her overnight right across from Kent Narrows Yacht Yard, near your place. My wife and I slept on the boat/on-watch so we could respond if she took on too much water. See photo. It worked out great.

The following day, we towed her around to the bay, under the bay bridge, and up the South River with our other boat. It was quite the experience. Long day, lots of fun and memories. Everything went well and she was safely docked at Pocahontas Marina, closer to our other boats.

We've been working on her steadily. Engines, wood, fiberglass, the works. We're no experts by far, but we're figuring it out. The whole family has embraced this project and its been a great experience. See photos. She'll be seaworthy by this coming summer.

We have also stayed in contact with the previous owners that we met through you connecting us with the previous restorer. Great people. They have found and given us some very precious things from the boat that originally belonged to my wife's late father. We get together for lunch and tell stories. Really nice people, and I think they feel really good about how things with their boat turned out.

Thank you so much.

We're still looking for the other boat. I have some new details I will share with you, and also just posted on the forum here:

https://www.yachtforums.com/threads...ng-for-my-late-father-in-laws-old-boat.33909/

IMG_3673.JPG IMG_3680.jpg IMG_0356.jpg IMG_0275.jpg IMG_0351-.jpg
  15. RER

RER Senior Member

I really enjoy seeing when people take an interest in caring for the old classic boats of my youth. Especially when it's young people. Good on you.
    John Burley likes this.
  16. StuPodasso

StuPodasso New Member

Awesome story! So glad to hear it is working out for you. Are you doing any touch up work on the back of the boat with the name/graphic?
    John Burley likes this.
  17. John Burley

John Burley New Member

We haven’t yet, but we will be. I think we will need to sand and refinish, and then apply new graphics. That will be one of the final steps.
  18. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

+ 1
  19. John Burley

John Burley New Member

@SeaEric

Thank you again for your help finding this boat! Since then we have had many great weekends as a family working on her.

I am now hoping you might be able to refer me to someone. One of the engines in the boat when we got it was seized and the other in bad shape. We have 2 good, running and tested Crusader engines ready to go in. The original mechanic cannot finish the job (old engines are out) and I am hoping that you, or someone here, could refer a good marine mechanic who could handle this for us. We have permission from he owner of Pocahontas Marina to have it done there by an outside mechanic, or we can soak it and tow it somewhere.

Is there anyone you could get me in touch with? Feel free to email me at (Admin edit)

Thanks!
  20. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

John,

Your phone number and address have been removed. Please read our rules before posting to YF again. Bots look for this type of information. Result? An inbox full of spam and your phone ringing with robocalls.
    John Burley likes this.