Click for JetForums Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay Click for Delta Click for Northern Lights

Anyone Interested in a Feadship Restoration?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Richard R Torre, Nov 11, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Richard R Torre

Richard R Torre New Member

Hi there,

New to the forums here. I am currently restoring a 1956 Feadship. Launched as "DSV" (Double Schott V)

After being built for the former owner of the Cincinnati Reds baseball team, Marge Schott, she was then sold to Arthur Godfrey. Arthur Godfrey ranked as one of the most important on-air stars of the first decade of American television, hosted a daily radio program and appeared in two top-ten prime time television shows. Arthur Godfrey then sold "Fifty-Fifty" to a banker from the state of Maryland, in the United States, who, in turn, donated the boat to the state of Maryland while Spiral Agnew was Governor. Spiral Agnew, soon to be the Vice President of the United States under Richard Nixon, was forced to resign amid the Watergate scandal. Vice President Agnew was accused of tax evasion and bribery charges, which would lead him to resign his office in the light of much pressure. However, while still the Governor of Maryland, Spiral Agnew used "Fifty-Fifty" to entertain some of the worlds biggest personalities in both the entertainment and political spotlight, such as President Kennedy and Marilyn Monroe. From there, she was purchased by Captain James F. Sanders, a retired Air Force Captain and a disabled American Veteran. Captain Sanders who was wounded in the Vietnam War and in failing health to this day, sold her to me for the same price he was offered by a local scrap-yard.

Yeah, I know what you are thinking...this idiot got drunk and bought a boat. Well, it's not quite like that but I do find myself needing a partner to complete her. So far She has a completely new steel hull on new steel ribs. I have a custom cabinetry shop and do built-ins and furniture for multi-million $ homes so I am way ahead of the game when it comes time to the finishing end of it. What I need is a partner to help with financing the rest of the structure/mechanical restoration.

She had a constitutional amendment
    so she's allowed to charter in the US. (that Spiro doesn't miss a beat)

Her launch picture is on the feadship website:

http://www.***********/images/020409-timeline-292x196/dsv_56.jpg

Thanks, all
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Richard,

I would sincerely love to open my checkbook and roll up my sleeves. I can't think of a more rewarding project. I can fully appreciate your vision on this, but I also know the reality of restoration! ;) This is truly a unique undertaking and a worthy cause. I hope someone on YachtForums is within your geographic area and can lend a hand... or pass a beer.

If I remember correctly (a few months ago), you had e-mailed several magazines to see if they would be interested in funding the project, while making it a story for their readers to follow. I think that's a GREAT idea! I hope one of them steps up to the plate. They certainly have the money!!

Short of that... I would truly enjoy following this project. I'm sure our viewers would as well. I hope, if you have time, you will create a photo-documentary tour. I'll give this thread a bump on occasion to keep it front of new viewers. Hopefully the right resources will find you...

All the best,

Carl Camper
  3. Richard R Torre

Last edited: Nov 12, 2004
  4. Richard R Torre

Anyone??????