Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Burger

Anyone familiar with Kong & Halvorsen

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by YachtForums, Dec 8, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Had a broker send me a listing on a 70' Kong & Halvorsen. This looks like a lot of yacht for the money. While I know the name, I've never been onboard one.

Does anybody have any experience with this line?
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I have met them in Hong Kong when I helped a guy purchasing an Island Gipsy.

In the early 1970s, Lars Halvorsen Sons Pty. Ltd. were the Australian
    dealership for the Grand Banks and Alaskan boats built by American
    Marine. At the same time Joseph H. H. Kong was the manager of the
    American Marine plant in Hong Kong.

In 1975 they formed a joint venture in Hong Kong under the name of Kong & Halvorsen for the bigger one off yachts and Island Gypsy for the trawlers of GB type. As far as I remember...

As you probably know, American Marine then moved to Singapore and later also Manila, while these guys remained in Hong Kong building pretty good boats, as you say, value for money.
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Thanks Lars!

The listing is currently on YachtWorld. The boat's in Lauderdale. Might be worth a look. It's an all-glass, 1988 70' galley up with a nice lay-out. Extended cockpit, over-size flybridge, full walk-around decks and a covered aft-deck. Price has been reduced to $650K. Only drawback is some exterior wood trim and the teak decks look like they need a layer taken off, but otherwise... might make a good live-aboard, canal cruiser.
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes, she has nice timeless lines. Small aftdeck, but you might like a cockpit for the Heli.. ;)
    The hull use to be very solid, almost too thick, but you don«t have the alu-blisters...
    Remains engines and technical installations, she doesn«t seem to be very updated which is both good and bad. Good because you don«t have to pay for a lot of stuff that«s anyway will soon be obsolete, bad because you might have to do a lot of new wiring, plumbing and such..

But as you say, worth looking at! :)
  5. Northern Lights

Northern Lights New Member

One in oceanside, California

I maintain the generators on one in Oceanside, California. The owner loves it. He has owned it for 15 years plus. It is called the "Moonbeam"