Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service

Any input on '87 41'Viking/Detroit 6-71s Convertible

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by jimster, Feb 7, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. jimster

jimster Guest

Guys I'd take any input and expertise on this boat/motors ('87Viking/Detroit 6-71s Convertible). I desire reliability and seaworthiness for long hauls from California to Cabo etc. I am also on a budget so reliability is huge to me. I don't mind spending extra $ at the pump to get a motor that doesn't have aluminum heads etc that warp and melt or need extra maintenance. A Viking and the Detroit 6-71s became my target. I came to this conclusion talking to experienced ole surveyor. I am not sure on which Viking to get, but think that the 41 0r 43 is as big as I want and I like the 38 a lot with the same motors. Does anyone know what the difference in fuel efficiency would be with the 41' vs the 38'???????Thanks for any help you have time for!!! Any problems I should look for on this '41 in particular? Thanks again! Jimster
  2. Mark I

Mark I Member

Jimster,

I have a 1990 38 with 6-71 TIs and a buddy has a 1989 41 with 6-71 TIBs.

As to the 41, nice boat with a solid ride. With a long manfucturing run, there are alot of them around. As for layout, very roomy but IMO not a great use of space for all of the beam. They made alot of different interior configurations but I think for its size, they should have been able to squeeze a dinette and 2nd stateroom in there. The TIBs are another story. They have less of a reliable history than the TIs but like anything else, if they were cared for, they will last. The Detroits are very rebuildable in any case.

The 38 which I have is a more modern design. Take a tour through one of the new ones and except for granite or corean, the interior design has not changed much. I run about 1-2 knots faster at cruise than the 41 and I have a lower HP rating. They weigh about the same per the spec. I have the 2 stateroom model and find it comfortable. Everything in the engine room is accessible and the boat has a very solid ride. At a 23knot cruise, I burn @31 gal/hr which is calculated not based on a fuel flow system. This boat had a limited run of about 5 years during the luxury tax era so you will find fewer of them around.

One more thing, the 38 is bigger than you might think. It is 38'10" at the water and 43' tip to tip which is why mine is bigger than the 40' Riviera docked next to me.

Maintenance is key with these motors. They are a little messy with drips here and there, but basically only need air, compression and fuel to run so they are generally very reliable.

They both have a decent flare and throw alot of spray making a bit of a wet ride with a cross-wind.
  3. jimster

jimster Guest

6-71TID Motor I guess is what it actuallt has.......

Thanks Mark I! I guess I got motor wrong, is this one OK, better, worse??? More recent I guess???
  4. Mark I

Mark I Member

I believe they were all built on the same basic block. Maye someone else will chime in with more information but I don't know of a TID. A good engine survey is a must regardless. There is scheduled maintenance on 500 hour intervals in addition to the annual tasks so look to see the records. When you start getting into turbos, injectors, rack adjustments etc. this can run into a little bit of money.

As far as the boat is concerned, I think the production run was from 1983 to 1989 or early 1990. There were small differences in appearance and amenities but the hull was the same.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

A friend of mine had a 1987 41' with 8v92's, at 1800rpm's it only cruised at 21 knots. You could cruise it at 1950rpms if you'd like. I ran another 41' with 6v71 naturals and it cruised at 14 knots at 1950. So 6v71 turbo's should cruise close to the 8v92's in speed. I have no familiararity of the 38'.

6-71 TIB's are good engines for Detroits and as far as I've seen last longer then the TI's. The B stands for bypass, DD installed a bypass valve which helps the turbo's last a little longer by bypassing some of the un-used boost.

Having a tune-up done on detroits should cost you no more then 3hrs labor per engine. They usually adjust the valves, set the rack, and injectors. Not a big deal. It 99% of the time never harms Detroits if it hasn't been done. You just might lose some HP and RPM's that's all. Turbo's should be inspected by the engine surveyor prior to buying the boat.