Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for Glendinning Click for Ocean Alexander

Antifreeze 2 Alarm Condaria chiller

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Norm Doggett, Feb 4, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Norm Doggett

Norm Doggett New Member

We just got our boat from Florida and when we turn the unit to HEAT mode if it gets too cold out we get an Antifreeze 2 Alarm and the unit shuts down. There is nothing in the manual explaining this alarm... help.
  2. SeaLion

SeaLion Senior Member

I think Condaria is owned by Dometic, so you might start there.
  3. Captain Hicks

Captain Hicks New Member

I've just gotten the same alarm. Did you resolve this? What does the probe look like?
  4. Aleksandr

Aleksandr New Member

Check t.sensor in/out water . due to incorrect measurement of temperature your pcb keep compressors On untill antifreeze alarm.(water t.sensors shows temperature higher then it actually is) for example my system with this malfunction shows 30⁰C water In, but actually it was about 10⁰C. Just touch a pipe, and look what shows you sensor . But any way check all sensors, in/out water, antifreeze. And you may operate and change factory settings as well, like all temperature delta's and so on. Need press and hold Enter and Esc while system is off. Be very careful with this parameter changes. And do not set antifreeze alarm lower then 3⁰C ever!
    Last edited: May 14, 2021
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

How much water pressure do you have in the chilled water system?
  6. Aleksandr

Aleksandr New Member

In my circulation line(fresh water) 3 bar (should be not less then 1,5bar) on 2 bar it will work stable, but ideally need 3 bar.
  7. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

You may also explore if you need an AMOT valve. I assume the boat is in Vancouver based on your location? Many of these systems are designed to work in warmer raw water temps. The colder water you are in causes high pressure in the system and can give weird alarms. I had to add an AMOT valve to the raw water side of my ice maker and my ac/heat chillers.
    I’m not super familiar with your system but I’m guessing for heat it is a reverse cycle. You may also find these don’t work great in cold water. This is why most folks go to a diesel style boiler in the PAC NW and north of there. For many chiller units you can add supplemental electric heaters in the cooling loop but I’ve heard they don’t work great and use a lot of power. This is why I decided to go ahead and put in a full diesel fired hydronic zoned system that is completely separate system from my chillers. It works gan
    Damir Sebetic likes this.
  8. mapism

mapism Senior Member

What Condaria chiller are you talking about?
    If it's similar to this one, which is how their more popular models look like, I'm not sure of which alarm you are referring to.
    In fact, there's no such thing as an "Antifreeze 2" alarm.
    Beware: both CLP and CHP are reported as "Antifreeze alarm" in the manual, but that's a translation mistake.
    The only alarm which is antifreeze-related (sort of) is CLP, that is supposed to go off if sear water temperature is under 10° C (=50° F).
    If that's the condition you are boating in, you can forget warming up the boat with the reverse cycle of the chiller, and consider what Dockmaster already said ref. separate heating instead.
    But both the CLP and the CHP alarms can also be due to inadequate raw water flow - due to a restricted intake/pipe, pump not working as it should, whatever.
    OTOH, if you are referring to the "AL1" or "AL2" led alarms on the control panel, right under the LCD display, that's yet another kettle of fish...

Attached Files:

9. mapism

mapism Senior Member

You must be talking of another system.
    On Condaria chiller-driven systems, 3 bar would be off the scale, and borderline to dangerous.
    The manual specifies 1 to 1.5 bar for the cooling circuit - BTW, it isn't actually just fresh water: it's supposed to be mixed with a specific antifreeze & corrosion prevention liquid.

BTW, based on the recommendation of one of their factory engineers, I like to run mine also below 1 bar, the rule of thumb being that the lower the pressure, the better for preventing leakages.
    Some pressure is only necessary to avoid the circulation pump cavitating, which can happen with very low pressures.
    Here there isn't a specific number/limit, because it depends on each installation (pipe lengths, head, fancoil type and number), but my system works just fine with as low as 0.5 bar.

All that has nothing to see with the OP problem, anyway.
    And I suppose he must have already troubleshoooted it long ago, since his post is of 2+ years ago...
  10. Aleksandr

Aleksandr New Member

Yes, fully agree with you, water shoud be mixed with corrosion prevention liquid . Usually yes, need only 1-1,5bar i saw it the in manuals as well, but for my system its not enough, i have no any leakages and system works well between 2-3Bar.
    How many fan coils you have on board and what length of the yacht?
    Damir Sebetic likes this.
  11. mapism

mapism Senior Member

56' boat, centralized twin compressors chiller, 7 fancoils.