Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking

Another missing boat

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by olderboater, Dec 31, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

A 29' Mako Cuddy Cabin on its way from Bimini to Lake Worth with 20 people aboard. Only information was that it did not arrive as expected. Perhaps they saw the conditions and reversed course. There are reasons we're not out on the water most of this week, especially today. 20 piled into a 29' Mako.
  2. Tortoise

Tortoise Guest

You wouldn’t believe all the boats making runs when it’s too rough for the Coast Guard to be out. You are too young, but you should had seen Cat Cay and Bimini in the early eighties. Guys would come in bandaged, bloody, with teeth missing from the ride over- but come in- they did. Picked up their loads and headed back to Miami after a dinner with the Customs Officials. Fun times.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Those 29' Mako's had an issue with the engine/swim platform area of the transom cracking. But 20 people on a 29' is way too much weight to begin with. I wish for the best for them.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

20 in a 29 make out of BIM? Has to be illegals immigrants.
  5. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Yep, hopefully they made it to a safe port.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

When I lived in Lauderdale a family rented a 16' boat, and armed with a placemat map from a diner headed for the Bahamas. Thankfully they got stopped before getting into trouble, but these people are out there and no they're not just illegals. 20 people on a 29' Mako is nuts. I've done that, but just to ferry some people on a 10 minute trip along Fire Island's bay side shore line from one town to the next over waist-deep waters. The boat rode so low I wouldn't want to hit a wake much less the ocean. Especially at this time of year the ocean can be flat calm in Lauderdale and near Bimini but you can find a whole different sea when you hit the Gulf Stream. I don't have much hope for a good outcome in this but my fingers are crossed and prayers said.
  7. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Of course....... :rolleyes:
  8. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

Not immigrants, but stupid ‘mercans. The story says they are missing on their return trip from Bimini. Darwin, etc.
  9. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Trumpers...:D
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Actually what I read was "If this turns out to be a smuggling boat". It's reasonable to think that people who crowd together without masks on land would get equally stupid on the water. I'm sure we'll find out more about who it is in the coming days.
  11. Slimshady

Slimshady Senior Member

A friend owned at 28 mako that was ex personal boat of mako owner. We all went diving out of deerfield one day, I stayed on boat . All the guys were in the transom area ready to dive and I felt the boat was sitting especially low but with 3 200lb guys with gear figured it was normal. Was my first time operating this vessel. Once they deployed the stern didn't raise as expected, I rapidly started looking for a reason. Quick search found that 1 of the 2 8" pie eyes in transom well had popped off and were rapidly filling boat with water. Quickly started motors, dumped anchor and drove at planing speed to help keep her right-side. Divers heard the motors and resurfaced. Quickly reboarded and headed back in. Made it inside boca inlet and first motor dies than 10 minutes later second dies. Made it back to dock but upset that this happened. Really nothing good to say about a manufacturer that puts plastic snap in place pie eyes in a transom well or doesn't even try to properly seal fuel tank sending units. Learned a lot that day and has shaped how I look at small boats.
  12. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

This is the quote from the CG:

If this turns out to be a smuggling boat that does not want to be found, Coast Guard Petty Officer Jose Hernandez says safety is the priority.
“We don’t know if it is or not,” he said. “Regardless, the Coast Guard is committed to the safety of all mariners. We don’t want any lives lost at sea.”
  13. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

I was out that day, having left Lake Worth inlet at the time USCG was making the calls on the VHF. Was NOT a day to be out there in anything, much less that loaded. The closer they got to shore, as the deep water shallowed, those monster waves were right on top of each other. Regardless of their intent, I hope all are safe. Honestly, I don't know how they could be...although I know it's easier to surf the waves in a small boat...but that was as snotty a day as anyone should have to endure.

Of course, it also makes sense that this would be a day to try to do whatever it is they were trying to do...
  14. Riknpat

Riknpat Senior Member

In a similar sad story the PV Delice a 'Party Catamaran' has sunk in Puerto Vallarta's bay. About 60 ex pats and tourists were aboard (who had paid USD $120 for an all inclusive New Years Party) plus crew. A fleet of private boats and yachts headed from the Marina to rescue whomever they could. A survivor reported seas that were choppy but not rough and claimed that the crew were unable to maneuver the Cat. This is a developing story so no news on victims if any. Hope all are safe. The holiday season seems to bring on these disasters.
  15. olderboater

Sad to read about the Party Catamaran.

On the Bimini story, very recently the CG had another missing boat and it ended up in Great Harbour Cay instead of it's plan for Turks and Caicos.
  16. olderboater

The Coast Guard has suspended their search.
  17. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

They probably dropped their cargo and sunk the boat. Has there been any news stories about relatives stateside worrying about their loved ones? If not, it s definitely migrant smuggling.
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Better watch out Pascal those 20 illegals might take your job.
  19. Riknpat

Riknpat Senior Member

All safe in Mexico. Boats and yachts from local marina rescue all 55 passengers and 5 crew. Overcrowded Cat sat low in the water impeding maneuverability and allowing choppy seas to flood the engine room.
  20. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Are comments like these really necessary? Do they add anything to the forum?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.