Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno Click for Westport Click for Delta

Another failed launch

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by luckylg, Sep 26, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. luckylg

luckylg New Member

2. Berean

Berean Senior Member

Ouch!:eek:

In all these vids it is interesting to watch the bystanders/workers. I could not imagine what is going through the owners mind if he was amongst them. Or the lift operator for that matter.
  3. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Gotta to keep that keel horizontal in the straps, and what was that back end twist all about?
  4. JWY

JWY Senior Member

I witnessed a boat dropped 16 feet from a lift about a year ago in Bellingham, Wa., worsened by the owner being on the foredeck at the time. I literally had nightmares from it - thinking about all of the "what ifs" made it worse. It wasn't until I diagnosed myself as having post-traumatic stress syndrome that I was able to put it behind me somewhat. It's really a horrific scene to witness - it goes in very slow motion.

Judy
  5. Berean

Berean Senior Member

Wow! I bet that was bad. Glad you are able to get it behind you as much as possible...
  6. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Thanks. But I now pay a lot more attention at haulout and don't assume the yard/lift operator/captain is as conscientious as might be expected.

I now confirm that the lift requested is the lift being used (this was a last minute switcheroo at a San Diego yard which I nixed shortly after the Bellingham disaster). I confirm the weight of vessel in regard to lift capacity; I count straps, and look at the condition of the straps. A few months ago in Lauderdale, I over-rode a captain and high profile yard on haulout because I knew the weight of the vessel might not be supported by the TravelLift. Captain said the yard had used that lift before. The yard checked their records after the fact, and the captain was wrong and the yard was lucky I was insistent.

I've put my bad experience to good use :eek:

Judy
  7. Berean

Berean Senior Member

Hard fought wisdom...
  8. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Hey Judy, no problem. There's a new, big ars lift over at the Derecktor yard. Weight should not be a problem for your yachts. :D

Attached Files: