Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Abeking Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Glendinning

Anchoring a boat?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by G650driver, May 21, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. G650driver

G650driver New Member

Buying a boat that has a Windless and this is my first Windless. Is it ok to back down on an anchor HARD to properly set it while the anchor line is just attached to the Windless or should I cleat or bridle the line first?
    P.s. It's a 42 Bertram.
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
  2. Liberty

Liberty Senior Member

I wouldn't do anything with an anchor hard. Well, at least I have twice, and I have the invoices to prove it. :roll eyes:

Yes you can ease down on the windlass, then gently put her in gear to set the anchor. Once the anchor has pulled up the momentum of your vessel, it will continue to bite.

If it is blowing when you set anchor, the breeze will do a lot of the work for you. The danger is that if you don't set the anchor, particularly with conflicting wind/tide/current you can trip it and drag.

As a warning though, make sure your windlass capstan clutch has been properly greased or if you back down too hard there will be a snapping sound when the clutch key shears ...

The number #1, #2 and #3 thing to anchor right is scope. Enough chain/rode. I am continually in awe of the cavalier way people drop anchor. And we have seen lots of boats drag at night, with the owner on their 8th beer ...

Scope = depth of water (at top of highest tide) x 5 + length to waterline

Your windlass is 6' off the water line. If you anchor in 18' of water, you first need to work out what high tide will be. Oh another 2 foot yet to come in? Ok, then we start with 20',

You need;

Scope = (20 x 5) + 6 = 106'

Minimum. 7x scope if its going to blow.
  3. G650driver

G650driver New Member

That is interesting. I appreciate your comment. I don't want to be one of those guys dragging around at night. I thought that a properly set anchor would hold just about anything. I don't have a lot of experience but I did have a captain demonstrate an anchor set and I thought he was going to snap a huge line! I backed away! I was amazed at the strength an anchor had.
  4. Liberty

Liberty Senior Member

I watched some kids drop anchor on their father's boat one afternoon. Backed down hard. Nice and set.

They set up camp on the beach and promptly hit the turps.

Tide came in. It lifted the boat, shortened the scope and lifted the anchor.

Next morning their boat was gone. Off to Fiji. Never seen again.

You retrieve your anchor by motoring up on the line while pulling continuously from above. Which is exactly what a rising tide will do.