Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights Click for JetForums

Anchor Type / Question

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by 92Searay-37', Mar 30, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 92Searay-37'

92Searay-37' New Member

Converting existing Ideal Windlass to accept 5/16" chain. Largest anchor Ideal is telling me windlass can handle is 55#.

For a 56' boat at 63,000 lbs not sure that is enough anchor. We are cruisers in the Chesapeake, not anchoring in storms, overnighters and weekends only.

Looking at Rocna 44# or can go with the right sized Fortress as weight is not an issue.

Suggestions and/or thoughts?
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

55 lbs is a joke on a boat that size. I can’t see why the windlass couldn’t handle a larger anchor. I have a Galley Made windlass on my 53 Hatt, the galley made was a copy of the ideal. Right now I have 65lbs Davis (plow) which is ok but I will upgrade to a bigger anchor soon.

your should be able to handle a larger anchor too

“not anchoring in storms”? That s funny. You may not anchor in a storm but should a storm come you ll wan the bigger anchor. It s not like the Cheasie has no storms in summer :)

I ve used an FX55 for a few years, problem is that they clog with mud and don’t reset.
  3. 92Searay-37'

92Searay-37' New Member

Thanks.

That's what Ideal told me, its the model v3c ideal Windlass.

I would prefer the bigger one.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Doesn’t make any sense. A windlass is typically able to pull a lot more weight than an anchor and chain. Check the model nr and the documentation. I can’t imagine anyone installing a windlass on a 56 footer that couldn’t pull a couple thousand pounds.
    T.T. likes this.
  5. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

My thought, 44-lbs isn't big enough. Even here in the Chesapeake. In fact, we just replaced a 44-lb anchor with an 88-lb anchor. The stainless 44-pounder was apparently some PO's idea of a wonderful replacement for the original 60-pounder that came with the boat... and that was also too small/light IMO.

Storms can find you. Even here on the Chesapeake.

Also, slimy/oozy/soupy mud is sometimes a thing here on the Chesapeake, so anchor shapes/weight that perform well in soft mud are useful.

You might check for videos by S/V Panope, particularly his #135 which ends with some decent tabular info on his anchor testing results. (The rollbar Rocna gets mixed reviews in his tests and elsewhere.)

Also, Fortress did some soft much testing back in 2014, and you can find those results online too. As you'd expect, Fortress anchors performed well in their tests; we carry a Fortress as a backup/kedge (excellent performance here), partly because they don't hang all that well on our roller, and partly because they can stow fairly flat. (We've not ever experienced a reset problem with a Fortress; mostly they seem to be completely buried...)

Perhaps that Ideal windlass can handle 55 KILOS? OTOH, if you're changing UP to 5/16" chain -- which is still relatively small -- maybe the 55 lbs rating is accurate. Which in turn suggests you could consider replacing the windlass on a boat that length and weight (and presumably windage).

-Chris
  6. phantomyachts

phantomyachts New Member

I had an Ideal v3c on my 45 Ocean using a 60 lb CQR plow with 3/8"chain for 20 years with no issues at all.
    Never had any problems retrieving, lot of pulling power.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I ve anchored in the Cheasie quite few times on trip using a Bruce/claw. Perfect anchor in mud. In fact I ve used Bruce anchors for 14 years between cape cod and the Exumas anchoring an average of 120/150 times a year and I can’t count on the fingers of one hand the number of failed setting or dragging. Best bang for the buck. At some point I m going to put a 110 Bruce on my 53

the few times I ve used CQRs or Deltas in mud, I was less than impressed
  8. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

You may be the only person on the planet who's had good luck -- all the time -- with a Bruce in Chesapeake slime. :) Or maybe you happened on one of the hard mud areas. Or even soft mud (i.e., not slime, ooze, soup).

I haven't used a CQR, but yes, the Delta is underwhelming here. Works sometimes, until it doesn't. Sails pretty well through soup if wind pipes up...

FWIW, my best success here has been with an adjustable SuperMAX and with a Fortress. Haven't been able to easily figure out whether the appropriately-sized SuperMAX will fit on our current davit, though...

Trying a different brand/anchor, now, partly because I could tell in advance it fits the davit, partly from anecdotal suggestion it may be OK. Hence this isn't a recommendation; no personal experience yet. If it works, good; if it doesn't, I can move on...

-Chris