Click for Glendinning Click for Nordhavn Click for Delta Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Cross

Anchor NOT Marinas - Sanannah GA. area

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by retiredguy, Oct 5, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. retiredguy

retiredguy Member

I really don't want to tie up at a dock/slip or Marina and prefer to anchor and the solitude that goes with it. As the title says, I'm heading to the Savannah Ga. area but 20 miles either way is fine. Any and all suggestions welcome and I'll be grateful for them. (63' Burger PH)

Thanks
  2. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

Don’t know if you have aqua map or the equivalent but if you do there are numerous anchor spots in and around Daufuskie, SC just before the Savanah River and I have run the Wilmington River from Thunderbolt and found it very pretty. Not as many spots as Daufuskie but you will get your solitude I think. BTW love your boat.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I ll second the Daufuskie island area between Sav river and Hilton head. Many nice spots.

south of Sav has anchorages too, by isle of hope and thunderbolt

it all depends on what you are looking for. If just for a couple days anything will work. If you need to be able to go ashore then it s another story. All these anchorages have a good current that reverses every 6 hours so oversized ground tackle is critical

also for more than a couple of days you re going to need spare watermaker filters ...
  4. retiredguy

retiredguy Member

Thanks guys, exactly the kind of info I needed. Now, to find a good tender to make going any place easier. And, I could not resist, posted a pic of her.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  5. KoffeeCruising

KoffeeCruising Member

I just did the Charleston -Savannah/Thunderbolt leg in Sept, Karma is currently resting at Thunderbolt.

Gorgeous area, winding rivers and scenery…but crazy tide swings and current reversals. I like thunderbolt; maybe stay there a few days and scout the areas for anchorages. Uber into Savannah; it’s awesome.

I’m heading down there Sat for my last leg from Thunderbolt to Boca Raton next week. D56B568B-D68E-4448-B2D0-3E059A6D46AA.jpeg 82A73DBD-9564-4F3F-8330-54D31BBCF2A3.jpeg
  6. retiredguy

retiredguy Member

Looks great. My plans got delayed so it will be a couple of weeks. Should be perfect weather.
  7. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

You can look at the May River up from Daufaskie for some more sheltered areas. The tide still rips so I would really make sure you have had a 1/2 dozen anchorages under your belt before trying with these 8' tide changes..
  8. retiredguy

retiredguy Member

And that is one of the big reasons I've hired a very knowledgeable captain to help with the move and some good instruction time.
  9. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

Thats a good move. Make sure to anchor out even if its just outside your home marina. Amazing what you will learn on what might need tweaking!