Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights Click for Cross Click for Abeking

An Oceanco Captain Remembered

Discussion in 'Oceanco Yacht' started by Angelus, Apr 5, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Angelus

Angelus New Member

Dear All... Any of you who work or worked at Oceanco will all remember Freddiy Appleton. Captain Pegasus.. It is with a Deep pain in my heart I should tell you he passed away last month. I believe he was HIV.. For my own part I will always have a place in my heart for him. He became a good friend over the time I worked alongside him.. A man who demanded the best. But get him in the Bar and you could connect. Cry or laugh with him. Though a captain, he knew Engineering inside out so knew what he wanted. Very rarely did he not get this. He became a close member of a very close knit Family within oceAnco along with his Engineer. I remember one time we were stood under his yacht talking about a problem he had.. Certain people were stood behind as we talked. I flinched.. He made a point of putting his hand on my shoulder and saying... "you ok Angelus?" We carried on talking.. When the conversation was finished we all left bar Freddy and me.. "I saw that"He said... "What?" That guy kicked you in your back... why dont you punch him... well this was Freddy all over... "I luv my job"I replied so we packed up work and went for a pint or 5..

I realise some of you might have already heard of his sad departure and I hope you will take a moment to remember him like I will tonight in the Bar.. He was one of the nicest people I ever had the pleasure of meeting. I havn't seen him for a couple of years now but I will still miss him and hope you will all join me for a moment to say goodbye to a great man... Cheers Freedy and rest in peace..

Angelus
  2. SeanC

SeanC New Member

Farewinds...

I met Freddy many years ago when we were both working on Browards and we were hanging out at the Broward yard on the New River. Those were the days of the "Broward Fun Bunch". He was mate on the Destiny and I was on the Sero. That was more than 20 years ago. He was a great guy and I am sorry to hear of his passing. Freddy gave me a lot of pointers in the yachting world and he made me feel welcomed. Apparently that was to be Freddy's style even as he rose through the ranks.
    Farewinds and following seas Freddy.