Click for Cross Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder

America's Cup, the old and the new

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by brian eiland, Jul 12, 2016.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

This photo was recently posted on another forum discussion of the foiling cats of the America's Cup. What an interesting contrast between the original yacht America and the new catamarans
    America's Cup, past and present, ps 640.jpg
    Then came this interesting video of the history of that old yacht America

Years ago I can remember sitting on the sea wall at the naval Academy in Annapolis, MD, and spotting a old time sailing ship off in the distance out on the Chesapeake Bay. Wait a minute I think that vessel is coming into Annapolis :eek:. I sat their for some considerable time watching that vessel make its way directly towards where I was sitting on that seawall. It got bigger and bigger, and finally I began to notice that it just might be the "America". Sure enough it was, and the final passage was directly abeam of me into the harbor of Annapolis. I was in awe ! (this was just when I was getting real interested in sailing vessels)

Turns out it was a replica of the America.....WOW what a sight.
  2. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

It's sad that things get uglier as they get better.
  3. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

You mean I'm not the only retro-grouch around here?
    Was expecting, in the video-at about 1:30 to hear "Keep those goddam feet off the varnish!"
  4. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Definitely not the only one... as much as I admire and am in awe of the speed and technology of the modern AC boats, or the brutal hardcore ruggedness of the current VOR boats, there is nothing afloat today that looks even half as beautiful as a J-class.

It's no different with cars, really. The current generation of LeMans racers are among the fastest, most technologically advanced cars in the world, but as cool as they may be, if you park them next to a 50s or 60s era Jaguar, Aston Martin, or Ferrari, and anyone would agree... they ain't pretty.
  5. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

You've got some valid points there.

I once saw a discussion about a famous old designers work, wherein they were saying something to the effect that its the 'SHEER line of course', that line that attracts us like when a beautiful woman enters the room......