Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker

Aluminum/Steel American yachts

Discussion in 'General Trawler Discussion' started by johnny mac, Jul 19, 2015.

1. johnny mac

johnny mac New Member

Hi everyone,
    I've been researching over the past couple of years and concluded that my vessel will be an aluminum or steel motor yacht. The European's, especially those in the Netherlands, are quite proficient. They are beautiful and appear to be constructed extremely well. I'm looking at 55' to 60' type and to my dismay there are really only two US builders Burger & Broward. They build extremely BIG beautiful yachts in steel and aluminum and I sense a 60' wouldn't really interest them. I know there is nothing wrong with FRP but I've made up my mind that it will be metal. I understand there are steel trawler builders but I'm looking for a motor yacht. I'm stuck. I also understand that there are Canadian aluminum yacht builders but I want it built in the US and I want to pay US workers. I've made my money in this country and I'd like it spend it in this country. Its nothing personal. Any suggestions?
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

There is no US builder building aluminum in that range that I'm aware of. There aren't many worldwide building aluminum in that range. Some trawlers available. I know you said no Canadian but that's as close as I can come up with and that would include Coastal Craft.

You might try a commercial builder like Metal Shark.

Now, for a price, Burger would probably build you anything you wanted since they really have no recreational yacht business that I'm aware of at the moment. They have built as small as 76' before and right now doing commercial work.
  3. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

If you are really in for an US built aluminum motor yacht, there would be a very good way of building a 60 feet fully custom planning boat in the CONUS. Contact a US based designer and naval architect. Have him make up some plans and calculations for your dream boat and then contact those guys in the Pacific Northwest.

www.munsonboats.com

They are most likely THE highest quality aluminum boat builders in the US and Canada. Munson Boats are spezializing in very sturdy work boats of highest quality, both for the metal part and for the machinery. If you provide them with a yacht design (they may even have some), they will be able to build a perfect yacht with great performance, that will outlast its owner for sure.

They have built this 65 ft Explorer type "yacht" for a well known Russian Oligarch. Looks a bit rustic-style but is of great quality. I am sure, they can build a more elegant yacht type boat (exterior and interior) with the same quality. A bit more expensive than a production "plastic fantastic" but a dream boat Made in the USA.

65-1mainphoto.jpg

I would give it a try.
  4. Caltexflanc

Caltexflanc Senior Member

Custom Steel Boats right up the road from me in Bayboro (well technically Merrit) has made a number of private boats in that range. Top flight stuff. The key is going to be finding a naval architect you are comfortable with.

http://customsteelboats.com/projects.html
  5. Caltexflanc

Funny thing, was just talking to a buddy and he reminded me Striker was still in business. I have no experience with them direct or indirect.

http://striker-yacht.com/Yachts.htm
  6. olderboater

Wow...amazing how many small yards scattered around the country that can or have at some point built aluminum yachts. Many have been doing mostly commercial work and rehabs. I'm sure they all know naval architects who have designed such boats. I know Greg Marshall has.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Why? Especially why would you build in steel? Either would be a custom build, and as such much harder to resell when the time comes. Now when you get over about 80' or 90' I can see it, but in the 55'-60' range it just doesn't make sense to me. Now if you absolutely want to go aluminum (steal is just too heavy and subject to corrosion) why not convert a commercial boat. Having the hull and superstructure in place could halve your costs and give you a proven design. The only other alternative that would make sense to me would be an old Chris or such. New build I just don't see.
  8. olderboater

Just because you or I wouldn't do it, doesn't mean it's wrong for him. Every boat could be labelled as a dumb move since they all cost money and the return can't be measured in dollars and cents. I say more power to him if this is what he wants. He'll have a unique boat that suits him and makes him happy. He's not claiming any of his criteria to be financially based but he wants a new boat and he wants exactly what he wants. I hope he's able to get it built.

One thing I do hope he's realizing. None of these are production builders or active parts of a production line. Most are either small builders or have other primary markets they build for. From engaging an architect and finding a builder, it's still going to be a long project. I'd guess 3 years.
  9. Caltexflanc

I tend to agree with NYcap, but then again buying a pleasure craft is seldom a rational decision; the OP is just taking the irrationality up a notch or two. So what?
  10. olderboater

I would say in the view of most people, we're guilty of the same....lol

I suspect most here have been looked at by some of their non-boating friends as if they were totally insane.
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Definitely not meaning to mock the OP's idea. Simply pointing out that there are big reasons why nobody finds it a commercially viable idea in that size range. Back in the 80's builders were in a quest to find a way to build bigger in glass while maintaining strength, because the up-sides of the product was so good. I agree that buying a boat seldom makes rational or financial sense, and a buyer should do whatever he wants if he can pay for it and is informed. I just want to make sure that the OP is as informed as possible before getting too deep into the project. There are already a lot of good choices in the 55'-60' range. Few are aluminum and way fewer are steel, for several very good reasons.
  12. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Contact Charlie Crane at Armstrong Marine. They look to be building a quality product.
  13. olderboater

They have some very nice boats like a 49 Passenger Catamaran, 45' long or a 71' Tactical Response Vessel. The aluminum business is in commercial and patrol, but many like Armstrong are very capable builders.
  14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

That's not true, lots of American yacht builders building commercial boats in that size range. Just building bigger in yachts. Burger built a few commercial boats in the last few years that size, I don't think they'd have any issue right now producing a yacht in that size.

The beauty of building a one off 55-60' in Aluminum or steel, is you don't have the cost of building a fiberglass mold to build a fiberglass boat out of.....For a one-off aluminum, steel, or cold molded is CONSIDERABLY cheaper than fiberglass.
  15. JWY

JWY Senior Member

I know of one excellent CSB, but I also know of a lawsuit and unhappy clients. I would never do business with CSB.
  16. johnny mac

johnny mac New Member

Thanks everyone for your input. It never dawned on me to look at "commercial" builders. I'll pursue that route.
  17. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

If I were to build myself a new yacht in the 60ft range I would be very tempted to do a steel one. This could be because I have spent most of my working life on steel hulled vessels I have also crossed the Pacific west to east on one that was 14m long.

If the insides are prepared properly and protected against corrosion by a good paint system and running a dry bilge vessel, good quality hardware and machinery used you will get good long life out of one and can always sleep well knowing that if designed and built correctly
    your hull will withstand a good pounding and will not de laminate, spring a plank or otherwise fall to bits very easily.

If you do happen to have the misfortune to bang into something steel is easy to repair and can deform a lot before actually rupturing.
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I think the big question for all boats, and especially when considering hull material, is planned usage. I note that the OP is from the Great Lakes area. Does he plan to still be running when the ice comes in? If not I don't see the upside of going steel. The added weight means slower speeds and increased fuel burn. It also means a deeper draft. Then there's heat and cold, both get extreme with a steel deck (just try to get a nice bikini to lay on a steel deck in summer, or walk across it barefoot). Would he go steel hull with am aluminum house or go steel bottom to top? All steel means more weight, and possibly stability issues. If he were talking about an expidition yacht for world cruising I might agree, but if he intends to use the boat in the Great Lakes for summer cruising (as most do), I wouldn't go neer steel or aluminum. What I think may be driving this choice is that up on the lakes many of the small boats are aluminum. Most of those boats will spend their entire life in that area. Once he gets over about 26' though they become glass, because the next buyer may well be on the coast (salt water). I suggest he look around at how many steel or aluminum 60' yachts he sees in his area. Those are his potential pool of buyers when he resells her. I suspect he'll find it's a rather small pool.
  19. timvail

timvail Senior Member

I agree, at our marina 360 slips, one 50 foot steel, the rest all glass.
  20. JWY

JWY Senior Member

[QUOTE=" I suggest he look around at how many steel or aluminum 60' yachts he sees in his area. Those are his potential pool of buyers when he resells her. I suspect he'll find it's a rather small pool.[/QUOTE]

The OP says he has been researching over the past couple of years. That leads me to assume that he concluded safety is a priority over popularity or resale.

Johnny Mac: Would you consider a Canadian yard?

Judy