Click for Walker Click for Cross Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn

Aircon for 1961 61ft Classic Motoryacht?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by david_japp, Apr 28, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

Hello
    I am refitting my 1961 61ft Van Lent "Tiky" and we are putting in new aircon to replace the tired and/or seized and very noisy independant units. It looks like we have a choice of a split-gas expansion system (such as cruisair) or a small chilled-water system (such as Webasto or Vetus) but every installer I ask for advice has a different oppinion according to which particular product they sellbut they all agree that we need 50K BTUs..
    ..the boat will be used as a family boat in the med - we have a galley, 4 small cabins, saloon and pilot house totalling 53 sq mts / 99 cu mts. Does any one have any thoughts on which type of system is the most suitable and economic to buy and fit and which particular product to go for?
    best
    David Japp
  2. ivor davies

ivor davies New Member

this iswhat i think

i have fitted varios of the webasto which is really from the CLD company, and would certainly recomend them, on one ocasion we had to fit it in a small space and had to buid it in with the condensers in a seperate space.these units are quiet and work well there are two types of compressor available try to choose the smaller ones.

if you need a hand ivordavies.davies@gmail.com
  3. Nevil

Nevil New Member

Airconditioning

David,

You might want to have a look at www.marinesystems.carrier.com. Contact one of the dealers on this site, they should definitely be able to help.

With respect to choosing between direct expansion (DX) or Chilled water (CHW) systems I would suggest a chilled water system. The reason is that with a DX requries refirgerant piping to each unit, and in case you have a leak you're likely to loose the refrigerant charge. You'll then need to locate the leak, repair and refil the system ( expensive and time consuming).
    The problem with CHW systems are that they normally aren't very well available in the size you're looking for so you'll probably need a custom built chiller unit which will increase your investment.
    If you have existing ductwork a 90MA from Carrier might be what you're looking for...

Need any further help,... let me know.

Nevil
  4. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

Nevil, thanks for this...in fcat ince posting the enquiry, my own researches have led me to the same conclusion (ie to fit a Chilled water system) and I am now considering an Italian made Condaria system…which not only seems to be the right size (they make units to order for small boats as well units for mega yachts) but is reasonably priced , at least compared to other manufacturers
    Cheers
    David
  5. Sea Wiz

Sea Wiz New Member

seems light to me.

I would consider Two stage chiller system. A night chiller 32K BTU And a Day chiller Of around 48K. You may need both running on very hot tropical days.
    50 K seems to light to me. (but I am in Ft. Lauderdale area) and I don't know your boat. In Example a Azumit 65 takes over 90K BTU.
    As a General Rule a professionally installed chilled water system can cost twice as much as DX. The plumbing and insulation takes a lot of skill to do it right.
  6. Garry Hartshorn

Garry Hartshorn Senior Member

Not to mention that the freon gas does not support life, is heavier than air so it tends to stay in the space that the leak occured in.