Click for Walker Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Furuno Click for Cross

Air conditioning replacement

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Post Mayhem, Jul 8, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Post Mayhem

Post Mayhem Member

Hi again everyone,
    My cruisaire’s finally gave up the ghost and I have decided to replace them with Flagship Marine self contained units. The aft unit will be in the cabinet area where the old air handler was. Has anyone insulated the storage cabinets in the salon of a 43 and if so, HOW? I need me return air to be cooled same as cabin so I will need to cool the cabinets. Thanks again for your help.
    Mayhem
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

They are noisy as hell and crap. I ran a boat with them and you had to manually reset the high pressure switch on each unit if they hit high pressure. Stick with domestic.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I don’t have any experience with their self contained but their chiller system are much better built that dometic / cruisair. No proprietary boards to fail, simple reliable design, solid stainless steel pans and good drainage.

I just spent an hour crawling to clear a drain on a cruisair air handler and because the pan is so small, you can’t reach the drain to clear it. What a pain.

My flagship air handlers have larger drains and a serious slope in the pan.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree with the construction. But there was zero isolation between the compressor and coils and the pan. Lot of vibration transferred to the boat and noisy compressor noise.

agree
  5. Post Mayhem

Post Mayhem Member

I have installed 2 of them. One in forward cabin and one in salon. The forward unit is cool enough on return air but the aft is pulling air from the cabinet space which gets really hot. I’ve ducted chilled air to the space but the fiberglass transfers so much heat. That is why I feel the need to insulate.