Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums Click for Abeking

Air box drain

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by g collis, May 29, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. g collis

g collis Member

Anyone have a picture showing the location of the air box drain plug on a DD12v71TI? I know there are likely dozens of pictures in here. But darned if I can find one. Thanks
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

There is a 1/8" plug, just after and level with the bottom edge of the last air box cover under the manifolds. That's it.
    You may already have a rigid tube attached pointing straight down to the bilge OR into a puke recovery bottle.
    Why are you asking? You talking with the hot rod SFBs about a air box/drain check valve?
  3. g collis

g collis Member

No, Was going to pull the plug on each side and drain out the gunk. You going to be around Saturday? We are going over to Lambs for a meeting and would like to stop by and say how do.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I'll be a on small (long) dock between Lambs and Huckins. Cedar Point dock.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

You have been reading more junk again. Nothing is going to drain from those holes.
  6. g collis

g collis Member

Well how do I know if theres any crap in there? No, nothings broke, just curious.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

There is crap in there (not mine).
    When you get the engines up to temp, the air box slobber is blown into the liners, digested, burned & out the exhaust.
    #6 left & right take most of this abuse when you start the engines up. That blue smoke you may see when lit cold.
    What is left is close to tar. When hot enough, it will flow into the liners and get digested also.
    One of the reasons the DDs need to get run up after long low speed runs.

On the TAs there is usually a check valve that allows the air box to drain into the sump or remote bottle.
    I installed these check valves on my TIs long ago. It takes two years for enough slobber (2") to collect before I change the collection bottles out.

I'm working on an old pair of TAs now. The tar has clogged the check valves. No big deal.

Run your boat with good oil and fuel. Run her up every now & then. IMO, Don't open anything up (plugs, lines), You will find Pandora... She is not forgiving or pretty...
  8. g collis

g collis Member

Hey Ralph, My windlass motor needs to be rebuilt. Where can I get that done in JAX?
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

What's it not doing? I'm installing new ones vs rebuilding.
  10. g collis

g collis Member

Comes on and them immediately boggs down and trips the breaker.
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Lets close your Air box drain thread.
    I hope I talked you out of messing with it. Didn't notice any others chime in.

Open a new thread on your windlass issues with the mfg, mod, voltage and if it's original equip. I assume it's original Galley Wench junk (reef material)...