Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder

Advice on Generator Replacement

Discussion in 'Generators' started by rocdiver, Jul 3, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. rocdiver

rocdiver Senior Member

Could use some advise on replacing aging generators;

I've just taken command of a late 80's Broward with the original 35kw Cummins powered generators.

They smoke, electronic sensors work only when they feel like it and are generally a pain in the patooty.

Owner has just purchased the boat and asked me my opinion on having these rebuilt vs replacement. I'm going for replacement as there are much more efficient and quiet models out there than these.

I'm sure I'm not the first one faced with this task so was wondering if anybody out there has any comparison info and recommended models.

By the way the estimate on rebuilding just the motors is ~$10,000 each. This does not include any of the various sensors monitoring the motor or the power generating device itself.

Just to make it more interesting, one of the gens drives a PTO for the bowthruster.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

ROCKY
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I sent you a PM with a guys name and number who should be able to help you out with your request.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Rebuilding them and changing electrical sensors would be much cheaper then replacing them. $10,000 sounds like a good price to rebuild the engine. However they will still be what they are. You should be able to make them reliable though. The advantage of these over the new electronic ones is as long as they have compression, fuel, air, and cooling water you can make them run one way or another. If the electronic ones have a bad sensor or computer or whatnot, there is nothing you can do to get it to run.

If you have the opportunity to change them with modern ones, and the owner is willing to spend the money, and plans on keeping the boat for a while, it has a lot of advantages. Easier to find parts, they run cleaner and quieter. I like Northern Lights generators for that size. The new Onan's are pretty good also, as well as Cat generators if they make one in the size you're looking for.

The PTO shouldn't be a problem IMO. I ran one yacht with an ONAN and a PTO (bowthruster) and when you turned on the bow thruster it cut the electrical output on the generator end to give the PTO full power.
  4. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

I have a 32KW Northern Lights on the Sea Deuce- it's about 6 years old. I like it and have had few problems with it.
  5. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

I'd go with the Northern Lights also, very reliable.