Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross Click for Walker Click for Glendinning

Advice on becoming a yacht engineer...

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by AlphaBravo, Jun 14, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. AlphaBravo

AlphaBravo New Member

Hi all,

So I'm looking into becoming a yacht engineer, and just wanted a bit of advice and guidance really. I'm 23, from Devon UK. I've been working as an engineer in a manufacturing environment for 5 years now, and am looking into moving into marine engineering. Why? Well I guess 5 years of working 5 days a week in the same old factory has taken its toll, I just want to get out and see new places and meet new people.

I'm electrically trained, working as a maintenance engineer. I spend my time repairing, servicing, rebuilding assemblies, a good mix of mechanical and electrical work.I hope I could get into the marine side of things without too much trouble.

So my vague plan so far..
    I'm looking at completeing my STCW95, AEC and Powerboat2 course... then going down to the Med early next spring to look for work.

Are these the courses i should be doing? Are there others I should complete too? Do I have a chance? Is Antibes the best place to go?

All feedback greatly appreciated.
  2. wscott52

wscott52 Senior Member

Just a friendly heads up. Duplicate posts are frowned upon, and rightfully so, by the forum administration.
  3. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member