Click for Abeking Click for Furuno Click for Walker Click for Northern Lights Click for JetForums

Advice & direction...

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by PattiC, Dec 18, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. PattiC

PattiC New Member

Hi all,

I've been exploring the idea of an occupation change for a year or so, from So Calif real estate/escrow industry to yachting and feel like I'm in a place in my life where I can reasonably do that.....meaning - put together a CV, relocate (probably to FL), register w/ crew agencies, dockwalk, etc. My plan is to relocate around mid - late March, 2010, do my training & hit the pavement. I can do some training prior to (currently live in San Diego, STCW-95 course offered here).

My questions are:
    1) I'm 49.....be honest - am I too old for stew or deckhand position? I'm in good health and shape and am accustomed to hard work and long hours, but how many points do I loose by pushing 50?
    2) Is this the right time in the industry? If I pursue this and take the leap, will I find myself w/ no job or income by years end? I have little to no experience in the hospitality industry or related fields, as the real estate industry has been my only career for my adult life, however, it has provided me with an excellent customer service background. I also have done volunteer work w/ the YMCA literacy program and PGA and community involvement experience, as well as a couple of years of active sailing experience (apx 30' -45' sv). I'm not opposed at all to day work, if that is what is available and can keep me afloat for a while and help me build up my CV and experience.

I know there is no crystal ball and don't expect anyone to tell me my fortune, good or bad, but what is the present 'market' like? Also, your perspective for the upcomming season would be greatly appreciated, along with any other info you feel may be useful.

Thanks much
    Patti
  2. Henning

Henning Senior Member

In general, yes, you are too old to get into an entry level position. You may pull it off though with a good look, great personality, excellent service and organizational skills. Floral skills? Table setting art? Silver Service? Cooking? Ask yourself, "What can I bring to the table?". Where do you see yourself fitting in? How physically fit are you? I don't mean in looks, I mean in endurance and ability... Working on a busy charter boat is like a marathon, sometimes 18 hr days 7 days a week for weeks and even months straight. It can be wearing.... Private family boats are better typically, lot less stress and often friendlier to crew with some "mileage"
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

welcome to YF

spring is the end of the season in FL, with many boats heading north to new england or to the med, so finding anything before late fall is unlikely.

I think lack of experience is more of a hurdle than age, but both combined may be difficult to overcome. Henning is right about charter boats, very long hours with very little time to catch your breath. We run charters and at the end of day, you feel the long hours in your legs, although on larger boats with more crew it may be a little easier although the service level / expectation is higher.

Personality is very important, as well as who you know and who you meet, but so far tehre are very few signs that things are turning around at least singificantly. Lots of crew looking for work. 2 years ago, the answer would have been very different...
  4. Henning

Henning Senior Member

You know, thinking about it, there are a lot of mid sized US Flagged family boats that hang out in the summer between St Augustine FL and Norfolk VA, as well as up in the Long Island Sound in the summer that may prove to provide you more opportunity that Ft Lauderdale at this moment. I'm here on my vacation right now, and things are a bit slow, but my friend who is a crew agent is doing slow but steady business. You might find something, but then you might not find anything in a year. If you are in a position where you can take a year off and give it a go for a year with about a 30% chance of success at gainful employment and about a 90% chance of having a good time away from the rat race, go for it. If you "need" to have a job by years end, well, if you don't have one by fourth of July weekend, perhaps you should put out your feelers in another direction. STCW is pretty much a requirement. Check with the Community Colleges, OCC in Newport Beach probably has it at a very reasonable rate and can get you a deal on a hotel room. SDCC may have something as well.

Also, if you know how to sail, may as well go for that market because you have added value there.

I'm a former OBcian and resident of Rock-n-Roll off Shelter Island....

What's at the Shelter Island docks these days?
  5. PattiC

PattiC New Member

Thanks for the info & advice & for the honesty too!

My timeline would really depend on finding day work to sustain myself, as I don't want to deplete all my resources. If I could get by on that, even just working 10-15 days out of the month, I could possibly hang in for a year.

I thought early spring (March - May) was a busy time in FL, as well as end of the year, but if not, and if NE region is better, my relo is very flexible on the place and time.

Never been to FL or NE region marinas, but from all I've heard and researched, the docks and marinas there are NOTHING like those found here is SD, accessability and sheer numbers, as well as the actual yachting community is a completely different story.

Henning - greetings from SD. I know OB & Shelter Island pretty well & spent most of my 'island' time at bay club & sun harbor marinas (either side of humphreys), and also sailed a lot out of Harbor Island. There used to be a waiting list just to get on Shelter island, but I've heard thats no longer the case. From what I've seen, mostly smaller (50' & under), private boats and a lot more liveaboards. Not many charters, especially this time of year.

Patti
  6. Henning

Henning Senior Member

What we have on this coast that you don't is boats behind houses. Think about So Florida as 100+ miles of Coronado Cays. The marinas you are used to where all the boats are berthed enmass by the thousands don't really exist here. The biggest factor working against you is that the market sector where you are most likely to find a position on board is also the market sector that has been hardest hit by this economy, which is the 65'-120' boats running a US flag.

Entry level day working... that's no way for an adult to live.
  7. PattiC

PattiC New Member

Think i might have better luck in a foreign port or are economic hard times for my target market, as well as the job competition the same all over?

I've been miserable the last couple of years in my current employ (and never really loved it even in good times), can't bear the thought of continuing....but the devil you know......i'll admit that your descrption of entry level day work being no way for an adult to live has me a little apprehensive :eek:
  8. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Day workers live in crew houses, typically sharing a bedroom with 1 other person in a 4 person, 2 bedroom house with kitchen. Last time I went that way a few years ago, it was $150/week. Can be a good way to go. There are also cheaper accommodations in bunk rooms with 4-6 in a bedroom and an apartment complex full of the same like Flloyds, and places like The Bridge across the street here that have from private rooms to bunk rooms. You'll be coming in off season so good chance you can get individual use of a bunk room, and all rates will be down some. The two major providers of housing are going to be Smart Moves and Nautilus Group. Nautilus Group also runs a web board that has a Dayworker listing. You'll see most of the independent crew houses advertised as you visit the crew agents on their bulletin boards. You need to find a crew house that meets your attitude. Some places are quiet with mostly over 35 crew, and some it's the 18-24 crowd and it is going off at all times of the day and night. With the market the way it is and when you want to show up, you may be able to find a private condo to rent furnished with no lease, expect to pay around $750-$950 a month with a first/last/deposit to move in. One advantage you get doing your STCW-95 here is the networking opportunity and the contacts you get through the school.
  9. PattiC

PattiC New Member

Yeah I know about crew housing & have heard of smart moves & bridge but not nautilus. What about Neptune? Think they also offer same job board.
    Althougn I've not lived with roomies outside of family, I'm pretty even tempered & easy going (but 4-6 per room may streach my limits).
    Even the private housing rates are a fraction of what I pay in sd.

Any thoughts about overseas locales? I'm guessing cost of living would be higher but any difference in my target market? I speak a little french & some Spanish but could learn.
  10. Adventure

Adventure New Member

To get your feet wet in your own backyard, go apply at Hornblower or Harbor Excurions.
  11. Henning

Henning Senior Member

I'm sorry, I meant Neptune Group. You can try France or Mallorca, but your chances of success are lower than here. With US flag boats you eliminate a good bit of your competition because they are supposed to hire Americans, or at least green card holders.
  12. Henning

Henning Senior Member

That brings back memories, I used to work Invader back when she still had trees for masts. RIP Larry Briggs LOL, there was an interesting character.
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The odds of you earning a living as crew in this economy and at your age is between zero and none. It's real hard for a captain your age to get work. However, maybe a way in would be through the back door. Your experience could serve you well selling boats. Boat salespeople are starving like everyone else right now, but it will eventually pick up. If you sell them you will be making connections that could get you on board at least enough to see if it's for you.
  14. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

Another avenue would be to check out findacrew.net, crewfinder or crewnet. They are free to join and the first two have some entry positions that do not require qualifications. Crewnet have a local office in SD.