Click for Northern Lights Click for Glendinning Click for Comfort Click for Burger Click for Perko

Advancing onto bigger boats

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by Jw-marine, Jul 22, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Jw-marine

Jw-marine New Member

I've been looking for a while at the requirements to be an engineer on bigger boats 50 metres + and a lot of them are no asking for commercial tickets/experience.

I'm currently the chief engineer on a 35m and I enjoy the job but I have dreams of qualifying through the Y qualification system, but once I have these qualifications will I find it difficult to progress onto bigger boats? I don't mind the size vessel I'm on now but my dream has always been bigger yachts.

Does the qualification requirement also depend on whether the vessel is charter or private?

Thanks
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

You can accrue seatime on both private and commercial vessels.

How long have you been on the 35m and what background do you have?
  3. Jw-marine

Jw-marine New Member

Hi KIWI I don't understand, does a yacht become commercial when it's being chartered and in that case it requires a certain skill level and usually higher qualifications? Whereas Private yachts you can pretty much do what you like?

I did four years as an engineer on nuclear submarines, then 4 years working as a sub contractor in shipbuilding and maintenance facilities. I haven't sent my Lia to the MCA yet I will do this in winter.

So at the moment I'm just rocking an AEC with 8 years marine engineering background.

This is my second boat as chief engineer, I've been here nearly 3 months but it's permanent whereas my last boat was only a short contract. The owner also will be ordering a new boat soon so I'm hoping I can stick around and become the new engineer on his next boat which we think will be around 40-45m. This is again providing I can get tickets along the way, the new boat will take around two years to complete anyway!

Thanks again.
  4. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

When you transfer to the new boat, don't forget the power cable dock cover thingie and the Britta container for cold water for the Chef.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Don't forget the skipper and what direction he is going. He sounded cheap for a bit. The skipper should be first in line to help answer some of these questions also.
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

If the yacht is fully private and operated as such there is pretty much free rein.

Commercially operated ones will have a safe manning certificate and need ticketed crew.

The MCA may grant you some exemptions for exams and you will need sea time to get NOE's for the tickets you are attempting.
  7. NEO56

NEO56 Member

JW-Marine,

You need to have a chat with Capt. Holli, he's currently on a boat in Europe, but he's been an Engineer on very large vessels, and continues to be. He'll be able to advise you in a way that will be very beneficial.
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Is what I have posted non beneficial?
  9. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

No, you are no longer an up and coming engineer, you are just an experienced engineer with years in the business. Only a captain can give beneficial advice to up and coming engineers
  10. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Hi K1W1,
    Didn't mean to step on your toes....I didn't know you held an Engineer's license, I do know that, once you get to a certain level, it requires a lot of time and money to maintain that lofty status. But Capt. Holli is on task in Europe for the sole purpose of putting in time to keep his license current.
  11. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Who the h... is Captain Holli and why do we care about him here? Kiwi isn't the only very experienced, professional engineer here. Marmot is as well.
  12. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Hi olderboater,
    Well...they say your mind is the first thing to go....Capt. Holli is a Senior Member here...just like you. And I was not aware of the credential's of Marmot either.
  13. olderboater

As you're older than I am, you'd be the expert on that part.

I'm still not aware who you're talking about. Maybe an id might help those of us who don't recognize the name. May not be how we know him.
  14. Ward

Ward Senior Member

NEO seems to be referring to the user who goes by "captholli" here on YF, but I have no idea why he seems to think that particular user is the one and only person whose advice might be useful.
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I believe because it sounds like Capt. Holli is taking the same path as the OP but just a few steps ahead of him, so he feels Capt. Holli would be up on the latest and best direction to go since he is taking the same path with a similar background.

It would be as if you're a junior in college and asking a Senior what professors to take next year, rather than asking the guy who graduated from the same college 20 years ago.

I believe reading comprehension skills go a long way. This whole conversation sounds like that old joke of who's on first, but no who's on third.....but who's on first......
  16. olderboater

Thanks. I just didn't recall him. Now at least know who we're talking about.

And none of this is meant as any disrespect to him. He may be very knowledgeable on the subject. Just doesn't mean others here don't have good advice and information too.
  17. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Reaching the "lofty status" requires a great deal of time, study, labor, and demonstrated competence. That time is revenue generating time, not course buying time. Maintaining the "lofty status" only requires performing professional duties and keeping up with new regulatory training demands.

I will let K1W1 speak for himself but he most certainly has been performing the professional duties of a marine engineer working at a level far beyond that of Y rated watchstander.
  18. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

CaptHolli recently told me In a post here he had been doing it longer than me so I should wind my neck in. I think he has USCG licences so might not be able to offer someone following the Y ticket much info but await his input eith interest.

As for professors , it does not work that way. There is a course curriculum , you need to do self study and attend a predatory course before attempting the exams for the best chance to pass. The Orals after or before the writtens can trip anyone up, it really just depends on the day and the mood of the examiner.

As to when you can take the exams is controlled by the amount of setime you have between each exam. This is determined by submission if your paperwork and Discharge Book to the MCA when you apply for each NOE (Notice of Eligibility)
  19. olderboater

I would say this and I don't know if Holli is USCG or Y, but in seeking the information on the path, I'd suggest that Captain and Engineer paths and USCG and Y paths are very different. As a USCG licensed Captain, I know nothing about the Engineer paths or the Y paths. Enough work keeping up with the details of my own path. The other thing is that one who has followed a similar path to the one desired might have the best input into the true workings along the way as opposed to just what the requirements are. The requirements can be easily attained from the web but finding the way, gaining the experience, is much more challenging.

A question for the OP. Do you have any license presently? Are you working on a private yacht that doesn't charter?
  20. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

The OP wrote he has an AEC which is an approved engine course.

This allows the holder to be Chief Engineer on a commercially operated wheelbarrow.

I would think that as he is sailing as C/E with this ticket he must be on a private vessel

Everyone needs to start somewhere but if the OP is only willing to sail as Chief he will find limited openings until he has gone through a few levels regardless of whether it's Y, commercial MCA or USCQ, they all have standards and procedures to be applied.

Sea time can be obtained on a private yacht and a ticket can be re validated with service on a private yacht.

There is no distinction on the form as to private or commercial