Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Cross Click for Northern Lights Click for Ocean Alexander

Adding Port Holes or Windows to a 38' Sportfisher

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by usernameme, Apr 5, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. usernameme

usernameme New Member

I have an mid 80's 38 foot Sportfisher with no openings except for a bow hatch. I would like more air flow and want to add either two port holes or add a sliding window to one of the seal glass sides. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Eric
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Can you offer any more data? How bout what 38' boat your talking about.
    Next questions to help your thread; how far over the water line are we talking? Forward cabins or saloon? Does your boat ride wet (lots of spray)?

Your question was like asking a blind
    person if your shoes matched your tie.....
    Give us some clues and we can help.
  3. usernameme

usernameme New Member

Any changes will take place in the salon area only. One possibility is altering the exsiting sealed glass area. The other would be on the area facing the bow that is currently covered with no openings.

Oversize image removed
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2017
  4. justold

justold Member

My 38 Ocean SS has two a half size hatches one in the port state room the other in the shower . The greatly improve air flow. The other 38 I had had a hatch in the area which I would call the windshield area and it looked so bad I removed it and filled it in !
  5. usernameme

usernameme New Member

It is always Good to talk to another Ocean Owner.
    Did you install them or were they already part of the boat. I am looking at those areas as well. There is not openings in the bathroom and a small light prizm in the port suite. I have seen via, Yacht world, a hatch in the port suite but concern of any leakage..Also, if you installed the half size hatches, what was your budget for the improvements?
    Thanks
  6. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

I recently got a 44 Ocean. It was modified with two sealed windows and 1 small center hatch in the forward part of the cabin area where windows were placed in early models. The sealed windows provide plenty of lights and the hatch provides a nice air flow by keeping the cabin much cooler. I'm sure they will require some maintenance in the future but the improvements in light and air flow are well worth the added maintenance. I have no idea of the cost but the small hatch does not look like it would be very costly to install. It appears to be a straight forward installation. The biggest consideration of this modification is disturbing the external appearance,
  7. justold

justold Member

The hatches were in it when I bought it . The prizm is what I keep having problems with leaking !