Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Perko Click for Abeking

Acceptable STCW course??

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by chefjeremy, Aug 3, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. chefjeremy

chefjeremy New Member

Hello all,

Found this cheap course in Turkey, (12 day 300 euro) and was wondering if it will be recognized throughout the EU. Its certified by the IYT, does anyone know anything about these guys? I'd like to get onto a super yacht in the Med. and figure a STCW certification will help.

http://yenivira.com/index.php
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

If they are as certified and approved as they say on the website it should be alright.

The Basic Courses are just that - Very basic.

I am working with a guy who is not Turkish but does live down there, I will ask him in morning if he has heard anything of this school or knows of another one where you can get it done in Turkey.
  3. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

You might contact Istanbul Technical University maritime department to check the bona fides of Yenivira. The two "competent persons" recognized by the IMO for STCW matters in Turkey are on the faculty. One is an engineer, the other a deckie.

Another source in Turkey is the Scientific Maritime Seafarer's Training School. Contact them to see what their courses cost
  4. vivariva

vivariva Senior Member

Another recommendation would be 'Akademi Denizcilik' or 'Ekol Denizcilik' in Istanbul. Below is the website:

www dot ekoldenizcilik dot com dot tr

You might also check with the Undersecretariat of Maritime Affairs, 'Denizcilik Mustesarligi' whether if they do or do not recognize the course provider, since they probably would issue the STCW certificate.

Göcek, where Vira is located, is in the province (city) of Muğla. FYI.