Click for JetForums Click for Mag Bay Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn

ac problem

Discussion in 'HVAC' started by amarino43, Dec 1, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. amarino43

amarino43 New Member

Hi there I have a 35 sea ray express cruiser, for some reason when i run my a/c the carpetjust as you enter cabin to starboard side gets wet, could this be from a clogged strainer, the a/c unit is way forward of were the floor is getting wet, any ideas?
    Thanks
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It sounds like the condensation pan either has a hole in it (least likely), or the condensate pan drain is clogged (most likely), also the seawater cooling lines could be leaking at or near the unit (somewhat likely). I would recommend visually inspecting the unit and you should be able to determine the source of the leak. Clean the air filter on the unit at the same time. Chances are it's mounted underneath the foward berth under the mattress, but look for the return grill and it should be fairly close to that.
  3. captbluewater

captbluewater New Member

It is probably the condensation drainline.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Try to follow the leak back to its point of origin. That floor probably has a slight pitch towards the stern. You may be looking for skinny and only a slightly damp trail as it won't accumulate until it hits that wall. My first thought would be an overflow from the drip pan. It could travel 'downhill' behind furnature until it gets to that wall where it will spread out. Check the drip pan drain. A second thought would be a leak or condensation on the hose feeding the unit depending on where the pickup is, but you should be able to quickly tell if it's salt water, and that hose is not likely to develope condensation. My 3rd thought would be condensation at or near the vent or along the duct if you leave it running on a/c while away instead of switching it to dehumidifier. Miami is hot and humid, and that ductwork could get real cold trying to keep up.
    It would not be from a clogged strainer as that would shut the unit or give you a code (I believe P5), also the discharge would be reduced.
    Another possibility, although having nothing to do with the a/c, is a leak in a water line, connection or the waterpump or actuator. Any of that near the location of origin?
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

most likely condensate from the pan drain being clogged. check the pan at the base of the AC and see if water is overflowing. the drain should be going to a sump pump, often the same as the shower sump.

but it could be a leak in the water line, which is more serious if it gets worst. where is the pump? if in the engine bay as on many small boat the water hose is routed forward to the AC unit.

oviuously a clogged strainer would mean no water is being pumped so no water would make it inside. and your AC would shut down with a high pressure error
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

He mentioned Sea Ray;
    Check the location of the pan drain and make sure it is mounted on the end of the pan toward the aft. I have found these drain fittings mounted elsewhere and the pan will spill when the bow comes up.