Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder Click for Westport

| A&R | 41.00M SWATH | "Nurja" ex. "Silver Cloud" | 2008 |

Discussion in 'Abeking & Rasmussen Yacht' started by Yacht News, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

It certainly would be tempting but I still feel that has some potential to be a security threat to the yacht!
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

DK about the security, but If I saw someone going under my tunnel I'd be tempted to meet him at the other end with a bucket of water.:D
  3. brunick

brunick Senior Member

i've traveled on this one
    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stena_Carisma

sry it's just german, but search for Stena Carisma on google

a friend of mine has told me this ship run over a few small sailboats some years ago, i think they didn't want to run through the tunnel ;)
  4. brunick

brunick Senior Member

5. Yacht News

...:D Alright Cappie, be nice now! Carl, I am docked one emoticon now.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I'd pour light.:) . At least I didn't suggest demasting
  7. Blackfish

Blackfish Guest

I spotted Silver Cloud on a local news program yesterday Docked in Victoria (BC) harbour, I wonder if she'll make it in to Vancouver, I'd love to see her up close.

Best regards, Brian.
  8. 'RoundTheHorn

'RoundTheHorn Senior Member

More Silver Cloud Background

I know the link has been in a couple of previous posts, but if you haven't visited the website for Silver Cloud recently (http://www.yachtsilvercloud.com/), there was a PDF of a print article added to home page. Scroll to the bottom and click the lower photo of S.C.
  9. Blackfish

Blackfish Guest

[QUOTE='roundthehorn]I know the link has been in a couple of previous posts, but if you haven't visited the website for Silver Cloud recently (http://www.yachtsilvercloud.com/), there was a PDF of a print article added to home page. Scroll to the bottom and click the lower photo of S.C.[/QUOTE]

Thanks RTH, I've been to the Silver Cloud site but had missed the review. Actually, I just spotted her coming into Vancouver through Burrard Inlet about ten minutes ago, she looks as cool in real life as she does in photos!

I wonder if "Out My Window" will get any shots...

Best regards, Brian.
  10. 'RoundTheHorn

'RoundTheHorn Senior Member

He certainly did! Two shots of S.C. plus another very wise yacht watcher.:)
  11. vlafrank

vlafrank Senior Member

OK, so the technology is an idea whose time has come,

but what about the cost? In other words, compare the cost of that nice Moonen 125' yacht reviewed elsewhere to a 125' SWATH built and equipped to yacht standards. What would be the difference in cost?

I fully understand that I'm not comparing apples to apples here. The living area inside the SWATH would exceed that inside the Moonen by a wide margin, and maybe it would be a fairer comparison if we compared SWATH vs monohull on an interior square footage basis. I dunno - you tell me, please.

All opinions welcomed. You are not, however, at liberty to correct my english.

:p :D
  12. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

What you should look at is Gross Tonnage, which is the volume, to get an indication of what to compare with.
  13. Tokyomike

Tokyomike New Member

Cost of SWATH versus monohull

Do any esteemed members have even a rough response to Post #31 comparing SWATH and Monohull build costs on a gross tonnage basis or even comparing construction of equal length? Even an educated guess would be helpful.

Other than the slip premium due on a SWATH design which will vary widely depending on location, the SWATH design seems to have so few drawbacks unless you really prefer your staterooms underwater ....or unless the build premium is significant....any other drawbacks of a SWATH design beyond debatable exterior visual aesthetics and consequent questionable resale value?

Any reasons a SWATH design can't/shouldn't be applied to an 80 footer?

Many thanks for any insights that the gurus of YachtForums can provide.
  14. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Abeking have a line of 25m SWATHS in production currently so I guess 80' is right within the realms of possibility.

One thing that many do not seem to realise about SWATH is the loading and weight is critical to performance , much more so than a mono hull.
  15. Kamuela

Kamuela New Member

I ran one of the original SWATH designs, SSP (Semi-Submerged Platform) Kaimalino off the coast of Hawaii in the late 70's. The Kaimalino provided the best ride of any vessel I have been aboard, regardless of size. We experienced the classic trade wind sea state and experienced no uncomfortable points of sail. We did a lot of station keeping and were able to keep a bunch of flat land scientists healthy. Why this design hasn't seen more attention is beyond me.
  16. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Because they are dufus looking things.

People just like traditional looking vessels and that's why we have retro looking tenders and "expedition" style yachts.
  17. Yacht News

Name change for this unique vessel... "Nurja" is her current name. She arrived in Monaco today.
  18. Yacht News

A recent look at "Nurja".