Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Northern Lights Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport

A Noob's adventure at FLIBS '08 (Looking for Work)

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by nrobidoux, Nov 12, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. nrobidoux

nrobidoux New Member

I wrote this to bring noobs back to reality a little. At least it was an eye-opener for me. I'll try and skimp on "fluff." It's definitely not as an exciting read as the post "My life in Monaco" but I hope it's informative.

A little about me. I bartend in 3 different spots in Newport, RI and at some point in late August a coworker came in with a drawn out face. He had met a girl who had told him all about the yachting industry and he was kicking himself for not trying to get into it earlier.

I was let go from my one of my jobs.... the one that gave me all the hours LOL... so I decided to goto FLIBS literally a few hours before my plane left to take a chance. I had the "twinkle in my eye"... the dream of being one of the newbies to be scooped right up (because of the "shortage") onto a yacht and off on new adventures.

The first day was Sun 10/26 and I pretty much spent it settling in a hostel near Oakland Park on A1A.... about 6 miles from where the "real" crew houses are. The next two days were spent registering with crew agencies and visiting them to show my face.

I had heard about a Crew4Crew party at Waxy's. So me and 2 of my roomies went down. It was pretty insane, open bar from 7-11.... way too much time to drink for free. So we all got sloshed and picked up girls..... not the real purpose for being down here.

The next few days I actually don't really remember what happened..... more "networking" probably.... a few interviews with crew agencies. Which consisted of a CV critique at one. Which was useful. Another had a group "interview" which was more like a lecture to acquaint all the noobs at once about the industry. I also went to a set of seminars setup for yachting newbies.

I also grabbed all the free material I could... Dockwalk, The Triton, Crew Life... and many more. I probably had nearly a dozen mags/papers. I read those, worked on my CV and profiles. Bascially by the end of the 1st week I felt pretty much knew where I stood as far as my chances on getting on board with an agency.

I went to FLIBS on Sat/Sun. No point really in handing CV's/BC's to Captains who are trying to sell boats. Without a boat there's no need for a crew. Pretty much the whole next week I was at MPT getting my STCW. That was a blast and I met some great peeps in class. I also moved to an "official" crewhouse, Bridge II. I liked my British/Aussie buddies from Deauville but it was hard to keep the eye on the ball when they're going out almost every night to chase eye candy and want me to join them.

So now the reailty is setting it... it's 11/08 I'm scheduled to fly out 11/12... will a miracle happen? Can't remember what happened Sat but Sun I went to see and friend. Monday and Tuesday walked the docks at 3 marinas.... no luck for daywork. I also got my ENG1 completed and went to a yachting job fair.

That brings us to Wed. where I'll dockwalk again.... and more than likely end up flying home later that evening. My plan is to grab experience in New England over the winter and into spring and hopefully I'll be more qualified.

For anyone interested here's a link to my Facebook album..... I don't think I did anything too embarrassing :) (Click here) There'll be more than 52 photos when I finish uploading them.

Lessons I learned/read/heard:

• People flock to FLIBS looking for work like moths to a flame on steroids. EVERYONE is looking for work. It's EXTREMELY competitive.
    • Make sure you can stay here for some time. I felt that I essentially left myself a few days to get work. It's different every year but according to agencies it pretty much dried up after Sept. and reviewing the ageny sites after... captains are in no rush as the start dates extend all the way into Dec and beyond... for not too many jobs. With bills piling up, no income... I couldn't stay any longer without falling behind.
    • Prepare a CV and business card before you come down. It's better to use your time on other activities. I'm basically in the spot now (well after I save up some more cash) where I can show up and look for daywork everyday and "network" at night. It's best if you can get yourself to the same spot prior to stepping off the plane.
    • Sept '08 Dockwalk has an article called "Novice crew Mob Med".... it basically states there's a shortage of qualified crew, but certainly not newbies. They estimate 800 yachts are in GLOBAL production with an average crew of 10 needed on each....... and there's 15,000 active seekers in crew agency databases in the south of France alone!
    • As silly as this sounds daywork does not mean just a days work. For some reason this got stuck in my head. I blew a lead I got from a vrew member during the C4C party because of this. I was recovering the day I was "suppose" to call early in the morning. I also thought I lost the card... which as it turned out was exactly where I put it.

About a week and a half later I realized my mistake. One of my current roommates has been doing daywork for 6 weeks.... and probably has another 2 left.... on the same boat. He's a lucky one, it's a major refit/conversion.
    • It's important to "network" at Waxy's and other bars as often as you can, so budget for it. Also look at publications to try and find networking events put on by agencies.
    • Don't drink yourself into oblivion. It helps to not show up for work wasted from the previous night out and, for me anyway, to actually be able to get out of bed.

I don't know many people in yachting.... but I can tell you now the agencies will all tell you it's a real small world and give some examples of some of the things they know about people halfway across the globe. But don't take their word for it.... I saw many of the same faces at Waxy's, "networking" events, bus stops.... it's insane. So be on your best behavior until you have a job, good recommendations, and some experience.
    • It helps if you look the part while you're looking.... which is pretty much all day and night. It always helps if when someone looks at you from the industry can think of you as part of it rather than an average joe when they are talking to you.
    • Crewhouses tend be houses for drunkards and late nights.... at least the crewhouse/hostel combo. Try and keep your focus and not get sucked into it. Before my STCW class I wasn't doing too hot a job.
    • Don't be too enthusiastic when looking for daywork. You might be the one who spoils it for everyone. Like the guy who apparently climbed over a few fences, hopped onto a boat, walked to the captain's door and knocked on it.... just to get daywork. Marina is now locked out except for those on a list.
    • It's best to register with the agencies online before you show up and "say hi." That's just about the 1st thing they'll ask you.
    • You can dock walk for work the following day. You don't have to stop going to marinas after 8:30/9 in the morning.
    • If you don't know how to network effectively, practice before coming here. Keep your face known at the agencies w/o turning into a pest (like the guy who hopped the fence :) ). "Out of sight. Out of mind." is a truism. You don't have to go down there all the time... emails work too.
    • There are some REALLY STRANGE people that stay at these hostels. Makes for some interesting conversation with "normal" people.