Click for Cross Click for JetForums Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger Click for Mulder

A/C Problem

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Poppa John, Aug 24, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Poppa John

Poppa John New Member

I'm trying to locate a ENVIRONMENTAL CONTROL UNIT ( ECU ) Marine Air System model VHE16KH . The actual cooling unit is working well, it's cold in here lol. Problem is in the control unit or hopefully just the display panel.
    Problem 1. When pressing temperature up, reads 0 and will not raise to desired temperature .
    Problem 2. Unable to enter Program Mode.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

I'll give this a shot. I'm presently working with MicroAir controls that seem to be similar in conceptual design to what MicroAir is currently using. Had an issue with a station that would mysteriously reset temp settings to 1 degree or 127 degrees. Then randomly would pop a "high freon pressure" fault despite the air handler being a chiller unit.

Thinking, as you are, I purchased a replacement ECU. Upon arrival, feeling lazy about the replacement effort, I dismounted the questionable thermostat, unplugged the RJ45 cable, and swapped it with another station. This was a simple 5 minute effort that didn't even require bending over. My thinking was, "would the problem follow the thermostat or remain at the ECU"?

The problem has never resurfaced after 2 months. New ECU remains in hand, but I'm keeping an eye on the stations to see if the problem resurfaces. This trial allows me to eliminate a variable in the equation, to be able to pin the problem with confidence to the thermostat control or the ECU. The thermostats are really basic, simple, but yet sensitive devices, too. The ECU is a circuit board...

So if you can run that trial, do this first. Then, if you are certain the issue is without a doubt the ECU and not the thermostat, see if you can hunt down your specific part on the inter web. If you can't find it, consider Marine Air's retrofit kit.

http://www.tropicalmarineairconditioning.com/sheets/2240.pdf
  3. Poppa John

Poppa John New Member

That's exactly what I would like to do, but I can't find a replacement display panel (thermostat ). I have a 330 Carver Mariner and where my unit is located , in the galley, the entire counter top , stove and sink must be removed. With that said, I really only want to do this once so , If I have to replace the ECU, I'll replace everything with the new Dometic 1600. Also a new counter top. It's more than double the money but, we know what BOAT means. Thank you for your advice and I'm hoping that I'll be able to give it a try.
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  4. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Pardon the typos. Meant to say Marine Air, kept saying MicroAir on your end.

Do you not have more than one zone? Or is this boat a single zone system?
  5. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

...and if it's a single zone system and still otherwise functioning well, probably safer to replace your ECU and thermostat with the retrofit kit, modernize both as opposed to chasing problems with parts hard to find. Might be easier, cheaper in the long run. The swap out in terms of wiring is actually very simple.
  6. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Don't forget to surf The EBay...
  7. Poppa John

Poppa John New Member

It is one zone. Both units, the ECU and compressor are located in the same location. I can only reach and see the top of the compressor and have no idea what shape the pan or other parts are in. A lot of work dismantling the counter top and the compressor is 25 years old, very loud but does run and cool great, because of that I'm in no rush but being a liveaboard, when I do it, it will be quick. Going to check ebay. Will get back to you. Thanks again.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I hate to say it, but at 25 years old I'd just replace the entire system. That being said, you'll be lucky to get half that lifespan out of a new unit. Try giving Henry at Seabreeze Marine A/C in Fort Lauderdale a call. He has been in business since almost when marine a/c was invented and he has a lot of oddball parts laying on his shelves and might have one.
  9. Poppa John

Poppa John New Member

Thanks Capt. I will give him a call. Even with half the life span, it will still outlive me, so that's not a problem.
  10. Poppa John

Poppa John New Member

I contacted Henry, said he has one or more and will ship it out today. He couldn't have been any nicer or more helpful. Thank you for recommending him. Will let you know how it works out.
  11. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

That's why I love these types of forums. Sharing input, experiences, resources. None of us know it all.
  12. Poppa John

Poppa John New Member

Your never to old to learn. Especially in boating. I have always found this forum helpful on some of my projects without even asking. Thank you for your advice.
  13. Poppa John

Poppa John New Member

Capt J, Well I received the control pad and it got worse . Now nothing works, so I bit the bullet and ordered a brand new unit from Marine Air. Will be here by Friday. A mechanic at the marina installed the same unit yesterday. I took a look at it, Nice. Will let you know how it comes out.
  14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Sorry to hear that. Have you checked the cable (telephone?) that goes from the control pad to the unit?
  15. Poppa John

Poppa John New Member

Yes, installed a new one. After I tried the replacement board I put the original back in and did the same thing. Crazy how that happened, but what can you do. I've got most of the galley apart, tomorrow morning Ill have help with the counter top. Plumbing, carpentry and electrical just to get to the old one. I love Carvers, they are all I ever owned but this set up really surprised me, The designer must have been having a bad day when he did this model.