Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay Click for Walker Click for Delta

A brief introduction from Antarctica

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by PolarPlanet, Aug 24, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. PolarPlanet

PolarPlanet New Member

Hello all,

My name is Matthew Kenney. I am just about to complete a 2 year fixed term with the British Antarctic Survey with whom I have been working in South Georgia as Senior Boating Officer.

After gaining a commercially endorsed Yachtmaster Offshore at age 17, I undertook some deliveries around Europe on small vessels up to 15m and did some work as a deckhand aboard a 19m Sunseeker. Then I joined HM Coastguard, and my career really prospered. I left my job as Deputy Watch Manager and SAR Mission Coordinator 2 years ago to pursue work in the frozen south (and continue a family tradition!).

When I leave here in December, I would like to go back to sea. I will be looking for a job as a deckhand or mate, and plan to offer longevity loyalty and hard work to the right yacht willing to offer me promotion prospects. I plan on working my way to OOW 3000 ton over the next couple of years, self funded of course.

Two questions / comments if I may - firstly, I have an interesting background, lots of relevant qualifications, and a proven ability to work under pressure and take my work aboard any vessel seriously, but at 27, am I at an odd age to be starting from the very bottom with my lack of large yacht experience? I have no issues working 'before the mast' you understand, but with my experience, I would like a clear progression to the bridge - is this often available on most larger yachts?

Secondly, I would like to offer my expertise and experience of South Georgia Island and the Antarctic. If any yachts are heading this way, and would like some tips, or indeed, employ me for the voyage, then please do get in touch.

Anyone interested in a mature, professionally minded, hard working and understanding addition to their crew from this December, I have my CV available upon request. My time working for an Antarctic research station has taught me much about cross-departmental assistance. I would be happy undertaking any job reasonably required to run the vessel well. For instance, I have good engineering skills, so would be happy servicing generators, or repairing tender outboards, or putting my cooking skills to work helping chef, or helping stew set the table (I have a keen eye for detail and presentation) and of course standing watches, passage planning, ship handling (with a little practice on-type!) doing chart corrections, making weather observations, identifying PIs for a harbour approach etc etc.

I have well over 1000 hours logged as coxswain on high powered harbour patrol and pilot launch vessels, and have served for a number of years aboard my local lifeboat. I have an RYA Powerboat Instructors ticket too.

Things I need to do when I get back this December - STCW95 BST, ENG 1 and find out more about visas... the B1/B2 Visa is for work in the US am I correct?

Anyway, enough waffle. Greetings all. A great website.

Regards,
    Matt.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

No it isn't.

Reading this might help cure insomnia: Non-Immigrant Visa: B1 and B2 Visitors

This subject has been discussed on here before in depth, maybe someone can recall the thread and link to it.

Don't write yourself off at 27, everyone has to start somewhere
  3. PolarPlanet

PolarPlanet New Member

Hi K1W1,

Thanks for the info and the encouragement. I have been lucky here that I get to go and play aboard the fisheries patrol vessel, which at 60m LOA is a ship proper. I know the captain and the crew very well indeed, and get to have a steer and ask endless questions on the bridge. Some of the guys have actually worked on Superyachts but defected back to the MN. They have their reasons. I guess I need to just crack on and find a vessel. Some will have older deckhands I am sure.

Thanks again my friend.

Matt.
  4. PolarPlanet

PolarPlanet New Member

Hi K1W1,

Thanks for the info and the encouragement. I have been lucky here that I get to go and play aboard the fisheries patrol vessel, which at 60m LOA is a ship proper. I know the captain and the crew very well indeed, and get to have a steer and ask endless questions on the bridge. Some of the guys have actually worked on Superyachts but defected back to the MN. They have their reasons. I guess I need to just crack on and find a vessel. Some will have older deckhands I am sure.

Thanks again my friend.

Matt.