Click for YF Listing Service Click for Comfort Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn

A bad time to enter the world of yachting as a new engineer?

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by GregZA, Oct 11, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. GregZA

GregZA New Member

I'm considering a career change and becoming a superyacht engineer. I'm currently working as a technician for my government and its profoundly unsatisfying work. I'm 30 now and feel like I'm running out of time to do something a little "out there". I realise working as an engineer on a yacht isn’t glamourous work, but that’s not what I’m looking for. I’m looking for new experiences and challenges and being able to travel a bit at the same time sounds much better than what I’m doing now.

I'm able to do all the necessary courses where I live (Cape Town) to theoretically get a foot in the door on a superyacht, but was wondering, given the current global pandemic and all its effects on the global economy, what the state of the job market for new crew members is like at present? Is there a significant reduction in odds of acquiring employment as a newbie engineer/deckhand? Location is not a deal-breaking factor for me.

Any feedback would be highly appreciated.
  2. retiredguy

retiredguy Member

I think the pandemic works in your favor. Yacht sales have not been this strong in a lot of years.
    GregZA likes this.
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

You had my attention until you said "newbie engineer/deckhand." Two entirely different positions. You say the necessary courses to get your foot in the door. So are you talking about the courses to get on board as a deckhand trainee or are you talking about the courses necessary to be a licensed engineer?

The market is strong for both but they are at opposite ends of the job spectrum. A deckhand will need some basic training and most captains will look for some experience. Until you have that, some day work and brief stints on boats will help prepare you. As to an engineer, extensive formal training is necessary to get started and then experience can be built.

There are also some specific pros and cons as apply to citizens of South Africa for which I would suggest you talk at length to a local school so you can be fully aware of those.
  4. GregZA

GregZA New Member

Thank you for the detailed response!

I perhaps should not have said "deckhand". The reason I added it is because the school I’ve been in contact with advised me that it would be beneficial to complete the deckhand course in addition to the engineering course (STCW 2010, Proficiency in Designated Security Duties (PDSD), RYA Powerboat Level 2, MCA Approved Engine Course (AEC1)) as most new engineering crew will be employed in a dual deckhand-engineer role to gain experience and from there move into a full engineering role.

Yes, I intend to have a consultation with the school to discuss the viability of me pursuing this as a career and all the critical aspects of the industry. I just wanted to first get some more objective and honest advice from someone who doesn’t have a vested interest in selling me an expensive course hence my post on this forum.

Could you perhaps expand on the formal training required to get started? Is this done on an “in-service” basis or at a school?
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I can't expand on the training that might be considered appropriate in South Africa as I'm not familiar with the specific training available or recommended there.

However, most schools here offer several programs and AEC1 and AEC2 are just the start. They are typically combined with STCW BST for a total of 3 weeks. Then, a common program is a Y2/Y1 Yacht Engineer Program which is 5 weeks and includes Applied Marine Engineering, Advanced Hotel Services, General Engineering Science I, General Engineering Science II, and HELM (Human Element Leadership and Management.

Total programs required for certification as an MCA Small Vessel 2nd Engineer are about 8 weeks. Now at the upper end of the spectrum, you can go to a Maritime University for four years.

As to those pushing deckhand. Yes, it will get you a job sooner. Be wary though as if you don't get enough training you may remain a deckhand. Employers sometimes only see you in the role you start in. Some do deckhand and assist in Engineering at Deckhand pay. While that gets a foot in the door, I prefer the route of getting the full engineering training and qualification and trying to start in the Engineering area, even if it means doing some deck work too.

I'm speaking of formal training in all my discussion. In service training and experience come on top of that.
  6. GregZA

GregZA New Member

You've given me a lot to work with and follow up on here! Hopefully I can find a local school offering these other modules. I would tend to agree with you, I'd rather be more comprehensively prepared and start gaining real-world engineering experience from the start.

Thank you for the advice and pointers, much appreciated!
  7. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

When considering a move to a long term career, as opposed to taking up a job opportunity, there should not be so much a "bad time" to start, rather a tougher time to get the exact position you may wish for. If the overall career choice is made with strong rationale & actual interest or wish or hopefully a passion, then IMHO, starting at a bad time has about as much going for it as starting in a good time. Given the fact that, long term, almost all industries go through troughs/slumps & booms. Imagine switching careers in the midst of a boom & doing well, only to then be laid off in a slump or worse, find that in a downturn you have not got the required skills or training or talent to hold the position.
    YachtForums and GregZA like this.
  8. GregZA

GregZA New Member

I never thought about it like this, interesting perspective.