Click for Walker Click for Cross Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning Click for Nordhavn

90X90 BMW Oracle trimaran launched

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by brian eiland, Sep 6, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Just a short reference here for those of you who don't normally view 'sailing subjects'....pretty spectacular photos of newly launched trimaran built for BMW/Oracle challenge to America's Cup

...more photos here
    http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/64321-post1.html

Attached Files:

2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That thing looks like it has zero relative weight when running and may well become a lighter than air craft in a good breeze. Must be one exciting ride.
  3. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Tis a thing of beauty. Hmmm, 50 knots on the horizon?
  4. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

5. Innomare

Innomare Senior Member

50 knots is much closer than the horizon... Last week Rob Douglas (US) set the new official 500 m record to 49.84 knots while kitesurfing in Namibia. The speed event is being held there lasts for another couple of weeks, so we may well see the longstanding 50-knot barrier crumble.

Actually Frenchman Seb Cattelan made 50.1 knots, but the run was not homologated (I believe because of the minimum waterdepth requirement of 50 cm over the entire length of the course).

Bruno
  6. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

50 knots on a board! That is one experience that I'd be inclined to pass on.
  7. Innomare

Innomare Senior Member

Yes, that's a bit much for me too. A friend of mine is competing there though. He also uses a foil board for kiteracing (not for speed). Very interesting sight.
    My guess is, if boats ever want to get back on top, they'll have to build a mini-hydroptere propelled by a kite.

You can see video of the record run at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh6vcN7gEek
  8. Innomare

Innomare Senior Member

Just to update the facts: The 50 knots barrier has been broken several times in the past few days. The highest average speed over 500 m is now 50.57 knots by French kitesurfer Alexandre Caizergues.

The website of the World Sailing Speed Record Council has yet to be updated.
    See http://www.sailspeedrecords.com/historical-list-of-500-metre-records.html.
    Recorded top speeds have been over 100 km/h.
  9. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

10. dockboy93

dockboy93 New Member

question, I have a picture of the boat of my background with only 1 pontoon in the water so does that mean that this boat can flip over or is there so much ballast that it is not possible. It would be a sight to see if it does flip or turtle
    :p :p
  11. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Can a trimaran flip? You bet.
    [​IMG]