Click for Abeking Click for Walker Click for Westport Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn

8V92TA Life

Discussion in 'Engines' started by astonm, Jul 25, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. astonm

astonm New Member

I am considering buying an older Pacific Mariner 65 with Detroit 8V92TA's. the engines have about 2200 hours and seem to be running strong. What life can I expect before I need an overhaul. I am planning on having the local Detroit guys do an engine survey and oil analysis. Is there anything I should look out for? Any help would be appreciated.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It depends. I've only seen them go 1800-2500 hours in Sportfish......they might go longer in a MY, depends on how they've been run and other factors.....I've seen a pair both have low compression in 1 cylinder with only 889 hours.......but the boat sat a lot........

I've found the local Detroit Diesel dealers are usually pretty good at giving accurate life expectancy figures for the type of boat they're installed in, HP package, and life expectancy.......
  3. astonm

astonm New Member

Thank you. My concern is that they may be at end of life. The boat has not been used much in the last year, so I'll make sure the Detroit guys go over them well.
  4. Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959 Member

Just finished overhauling 2

For what it worth I just finished overhauling both 8V-92 TA DDEC in a Pacific Mariner with less than 2000 hours. Starboard engine cracked a head and put coolant into exhaust and oil. Owner decided to overhaul port engine at the same time. Spared no expense, Rather pricey. BTW this boat is for sale also. 65 footer completely redone inside and out. If you would like pictures let me know. As to engine life it depends on how much power they are putting out and how well they are taken care of. Anything can happen. Big horsepower equals big bucks.
    I've got a customer who has 12V-92TA's and they are ready for overhaul. Engine hours around 2700.

Attached Files:

• 055.jpg
      055.jpg
      File size:
      76.9 KB
      Views:
  5. saltysenior

saltysenior Senior Member

not to hijack,,,,,but are they those ultra-modern,space-age,state of the art,non computerized tank gauges i see in the photo ????
  6. astonm

astonm New Member

*V92TA life

Jimbo,

I've seen this boat. In fact, a friend of mine from Discovery Bay was on it several weeks ago. I believe they're asking around $1 million.

I've given up on the Pacific mariner purchase. Too high time and questionable maintanence. The reason it's for sale is that the current owner can't afford it. And it does seem like 2500 hours more or less is where I would need to think about overhaul. So, I'm still in the market.

Thanks for the great picture.
  7. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

It appears so ... with the valves open in order to better feed the fire.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I saw a boat leak fuel all over the marina the other day for that very reason. The owner didn't close the gate valves on the sight tubes and 1 started leaking. It only takes 10 seconds to close or open them, why on earth would one leave them open.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Don't let the valve handles fool ya, think about a boiler sight glass vaves.

I thought the use of self closing valves on fuel or oil tanks was mandatory?

Why anyone would use a gate valve let alone a ball valve is beyond me.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

All of the newer boats I manage have spring loaded valves that keep them in the closed position. A lot of older yachts I manage or have been on, say pre-2000 have manual valves ball and gate both, that can be left open.
  11. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Those Home Depot ball valves don't fool anyone!

Boiler gauge glass valves (at least on propulsion boilers and most large donkey boilers) use this sort of operator ... you pull the chain to open or close. They should be closed after checking the level so a failure of the glass doesn't disturb the watch engineer.

BTW, the valves both operate at the same time by pulling on a chain that passes over both chain wheels. Those valves are located about 10 or 15 feet above the floor plates.

Attached Files:

12. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member