Click for Westport Click for Delta Click for Cross Click for Abeking Click for JetForums

87-89 Post 43 Change

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Reel Antsy, May 20, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Reel Antsy

Reel Antsy New Member

Curious...couldn't find anything on a quick search.
    My friend's new to him, Post 43, 1989, sits next to our '87 43. His boat sits about 4 1/2 or so higher in the water than ours.
    A quick measurement in the engine room, from between engines shows how much deeper, plus jumping into and out of his engine room, you notice. :D
    So I assume they modified the hull or its deadrise in '1989. Thought only the 46' was modified in that year.

So what were the modifications? Every other measurements appear to be the same, salon, ceiling in galley, stateroom and bunkroom heights.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

So much could account for this from design to weight. I'd suggest you measure the draft to water line and then check the dimensions when the boats are on the hard to see if his boat is actually taller or just sit higher in the water. My guess is that with his boat being newer to him that you're carrying more weight. For starters I see you have wood trim. Add 100 lbs here and another 100 lbs there and before you know it you're lower and slower.
  3. Reel Antsy

Reel Antsy New Member

Thanks, I have taken that into factor but from the salon floor to the hull, it is deeper...If this is a 43II than I suspect a hull change maybe? Again, that's why I'm asking.
  4. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Senior Member

I'm not aware of any hull changes in the 43. Thought I heard the 43II may have pushed the fuel tanks back. You are stepping on the forward fuel tank but the other is stepping to hull itself? Probably 18-24 inch difference? if this is true, that boat sits lower in stern and higher in bow than yours? Assuming you both have same engines and transmissions and gen placement. A bit of a guess. Mine has the forward fuel tank you step on.
    Reel Antsy likes this.
  5. Reel Antsy

Reel Antsy New Member

I'm going to have another look this weekend. Your theory about the fuel tanks make sense but I believe his tank is forward. Thanks!
  6. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

Our 1989 Post 43 II (late 1989 boat, delivered early 1990) has a forward tank in the engine room that runs to just short of the genset, Larger aft tank under cockpit floor. My Powerboat Guide only says the 1989 changed some standard equipment, no mention of hull change.
    Reel Antsy likes this.
  7. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

I had a thought related to your question. When at rest is the forward end of the side spray rails above water on one boat and not on the other? The first foot plus on ours is above the water at rest. I know our boat sits higher than normal as the CAT's are about 1000# each lighter than the Detroits.
  8. Reel Antsy

Reel Antsy New Member

So we both had our vessels hauled on Friday for power washing of the bottoms and zinc replacement. One after the other. Quick measurement from keel to bottom of rub rail at the stearn is approximately 9.6'" difference.
    There is definitely a hull change, his '89 hull runs deeper than our '87. As mentioned in my original post, I couldn't find any print on the topic but I'm sure someone knows the whens and whats of this change.
    Thanks for all your replies.
  9. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

Did you get photos of the transom view of both? Would like to see the difference and compare to mine.

Stern view on land snip.jpg
    Reel Antsy likes this.
  10. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

If you are going to the rendezvous at Cambridge this year, there will be a guy there that can answer you questions. He is a veritable cornucopia of Post info.
    He has a real nice 50.
    Reel Antsy likes this.
  11. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

When is that?

Planning to go to Cambridge for Maritime Festival the end of this month.
  12. chesapeake46

I think it is the first weekend in August. I will get back to you on that.
    From what I've been told, there will be quite a few boats.
    You guys should come too.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  13. Reel Antsy

Reel Antsy New Member

Unfortunately I don't. But my buddy's '89 is same year as yours.
    For those who are interested, the rendezvous is posted on this FB page.
    Mod edit: Links to mandatory registration pages are prohibited.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2021
  14. chesapeake46

Correction : August 20 & 21 @ Cambridge Hyatt so says the calendar.
  15. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

Thanks for the date. My wife requested to join the Post group on FB, I don't use FB.

I'm on travel that week, will depend on when I actually get home. Cambridge is only 2 hours run so might be able to make mid day on 20th