Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning Click for Nordhavn Click for Comfort Click for Mulder

80 knot yacht?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by tantetruus, Sep 22, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

Hi all,

there's a rumor that a 50 mtr yacht is being build in England at DML thats planned to hit 80 knots :eek: wich would make it a lot faster then twine which holds the current record(?)

Anyone knows more?
  2. Francois

Francois New Member

Wow thats going to be something very fast .I am sure it can be done light building technics and lots of horses :cool:

Francois
  3. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Tan, can you please allude to what 'Twine' is...what does she look like?...never heard of her..
  4. YachtForum

YachtForum Publisher/Admin

TWINE is an acronym for "The World Is Not Enough". ;)
  5. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

Beat me to it...

anyway, the Millenium 70 knot yacht.
    4th i believe in a series of recordbraking yachts, all with james bond movie names, all belonging to a "car dealer" John Staluppi?

Ask Carl, he knows all about it:)
  6. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

Speaking of TWINE, I was just watching a re-run of her on the travel channel. one of our members has his advatar a pic of her bow high . IIRC I think someone explained that might have launched off a wave.But watching her run on the TC she was running that high at 61 knots with 90% turbine power. They did admit some control problems.

My question,as I remember she was being lengthened,I am correct this was done to move the CG to lower the bow so full power could be applied? Will Twine be faster even with the longer hull under full power with the correct posture? Or do you think she will be just a longer yacht still able be maintain the 61 knots?

I don't follow that closely,maybe the refit is done and the answers are known,but any how,would someone like to take a jab at my questions ,whether the answer is based on known fact or your informed opinion.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2006
  7. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

I doubt that the lenght will improve her speed since were talking full planing hull, instead of the not planing hull where there is a connection between widht and length resulting in speed.

Some helicopter person(which name escapes me at the moment:)) once told me that the speedproblem with twine was a result of some kind of vacuum at the waterinlet of the waterjets at higher speeds, but im not sure whether you can trust the opinion of someone who wants to fly without wings:D
  8. Yacht News

Oh My goodness....i didnt know that...it seems so far from it...i guess i should have known that....i feel so embarrassed now.
  9. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

Yes I am aware of that but if stabilty is lost you must slow down. While most strive to reduce water line friction,I assume there must be enough so the yacht maintains longitudinal stability, so stern doesn't want to pass the bow. Hmmm....... with that much hp and pushing the speed and design,Would it be possible for a yacht that size to swap ends in a high speed turn? ......wouldn't that be a sight !!!!!:eek:
    With the Bow that high I would suspect that the pump inlet problem may also be True. The inlets could be digesting some air. Another reason for the extra length.

I'm sure Carl has some input on this if he can share.;)
  10. YachtForum

A little late to respond. Sorry guys, on the road and in meetings for the past 48. On TWINE... I'm not really at liberty to discuss.

Anyhow, Michael Bach from Rybo would be best to inform on the outcome and performance on TWINE's refit because I haven't seen the boat since. Unfortunately, Mike's still in Monaco, but he should be back tomorrow. Might be awhile before he logs-on because he's got some catching up to do... you know, learning to speak English again, drink cold beer, etc.

BTW... the hull WAS NOT extended, just the upper aft decks. And YES... adding weight aft could present a CG problem.

Regarding WDRZL's questions... could the M-140 swap ends? Absolutely! "IF" the M-140 had sufficient thrust deflection, YES, this is entirely possibly.

With regards to TWINE launching off a wave... let me pose this question... you have a 28 million dollar yacht with an interior designed by Evin K. Marshall. Would you go wave jumping? I think Knot!

Could it be done? I honestly don't know. I never had the opp to take 140 feet of luxury yacht and hit a 10 foot swell at 70 knots. Don't expect I ever will. But I will tell you this... the picture you're seeing in Kevin's avatar is something the M-140 can do at will. With 280 square feet of trim tabs, Staluppi can look at the moon, or stare into the abyss. Dealer's choice. ;)
  11. YachtForum

70 knot yacht gets an extra 700 square feet. Here's a pic of the extensions. The skylounge level is draped in Eisenglass, giving a large air-conditioned aft deck. This is an idea that may catch on...

Attached Files:

12. Yacht News

I do not like it...honestly...i think it ruined her looks...at least from that angle...she looked so nice and fast before (sleek)..well still is but just different and i am not so sure if different for the better or worse.
  13. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

I wonder if the "cool deck space" could be maintained with a air curtain ??? ,instead of all the enclosure. I'm sure it could be maintained when at dock but studies of turbulence would have to be done when she's underway or to see if the curtain can be maintained. I even thought of curtains starting from the radar arch, keeping the fly deck cool being completly open. The main problem would being able to maintain enough cfm & velocity and still maintain acceptable noise levels out of the diffusers.
    Has anyone every done this ?
  14. Billy1119

Billy1119 Senior Member

That's a very interesting thought, wdrzal! Like you pointed out, I'm not sure how realistic it is while underway, but even so, it'd be great at the dock (noise permitting). I don't really see it working that well on the flybridge, but on the lower decks I think there's potential. Neat idea.
  15. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

The last thing i hear is that the yacht is build at Devonport and should be ready within a few months if not one month..

So, any brits here; please run to devonport and dig in at their gates with your cameras!:cool:
  16. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

That would have to be Project 305 a multi Gas Turbine boat that has been under construction for at least 5 yrs, there have been many engine and engineering problems and the last thing read about it was a month or so back when an Engine Room fire on yet another Sea Trial forced it to be towed back to DML.

I just saw your second post, from what I hear it won't be ready for delivery any time soon.
  17. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

where did you read anything about it?
    So far its been only secrecy..
    are you in any way involved?
  18. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

19. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

thanks;
    the picture isnt on the site; they will repost it.

This ship seems to be "in the build" for 5 years!
  20. Talon

Talon Senior Member

It will probably be a while yet before she emerges from her engine room refit.

Are they looking for a record in 'Longest Build' for Project 305?
    Will try to coach some friends at DML to have a peak.

Talon