Click for Cross Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay Click for Lurssen Click for Nordhavn

76' Lazzara; New Trac stabilizers

Discussion in 'Lazzara Yacht' started by mike Hartley, Feb 23, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike Hartley

mike Hartley New Member

Nice article Ghostrider
  2. Joe da wrench

Joe da wrench New Member

Gyro Gail fins are built there in Stuart. Why not talk to them about a refurbish? Sometimes lack of maintenance causes issues with the operation of the tabs. They also have a digital zero speed system.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

They are JUNK. They had a hydraulic retrofit kit to turn everything into hydraulic, that would then cause the fins to fly off of the shafts and the boat and be lost at sea. Even before retrofitting them, fins delaminating and fins coming off of the shafts were somewhat common.
  4. Gyro-Gale

Gyro-Gale New Member

Good morning Mike and all those on this thread,

If the maintenance is not done on the stabilizers and the air filtration system which should be done - every 2 years or 400 hours of operation, which ever comes first. Eventually the system will get contaminated and becoming sluggish.

Mike please tell us what hull # this Lazzara is and we can look up your file to find out when it was last serviced and we can come aboard and test your stabilizers at dock to see if they are properly operating.

We are very confident in our product and how well it works. Upgrading to our latest technology will not only prove that our product is better than any other brand, but it will be a more cost effective approach than removing Gyro-Gale and installing Trac. If the performance is not to your liking, we will remove the equipment and give you your money back.

1) Lazzara 80’ - Gyro Gale system upgraded to the new digital system with the new “tab-fin” system - What an improvement! We have just completed a two-week, 1400 nm journey from Tampa, FL to Annapolis, MD aboard Dauntless, and had a little bit of everything weather-wise. The new fins performed extremely well!

2) DeFever 49’- We encountered at least 8 to 12 foot seas very close together…The Gyro-Gales performed beyond my expectations

3) Sunseeker 82’ - The boat has gained 2 knots of speed and the stability has improved to 90% underway and 80% at anchor.

4) Lazzara 76’ - The tab fin gives much greater control than the non-tab. At rest control is unbelievable until you experience it. It completely removes the roll to provide a very enjoyable at anchor environment

5) Grand Banks 42’ - I have to say that the result was spectacular. With over five feet waves on the beam the boat was going up and down without the rolling.

6) Guy Couach 120’ – Stabilizers you installed are very big help for the yacht. Especially when the weather is very windy.

I look forward to hearing from you

Zeyad Metwally
    V.P. of Engineering

Mod edit: Phone number removed.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2019
  5. Gyro-Gale

Gyro-Gale New Member

The information you are providing is false, the Gyro-Gale system is a fully air operated system. It can never be hydraulically retro-fitted
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

And air compresses, reaches maximum operating pressure in the system, and slows the action of the fins down the rougher it gets and more force that is on the fins themselves, which renders it much less effective than a fluid such as hydraulic fluid that does not compress. Not including the weight and noise of the giant air compressor.

There was a company that specialized in converting the gyro gail fins on the old 76' and 80' Lazzara's that retrofitted hydraulic lines and actuators and etc. to the existing fins and some components. I got a quote from them, this is going back around a decade when I dealt with one of those boats. I thought it was you. Generally every time you hauled one of these boats with 4 fins, at least 1 was delaminating and/or full of water, and many times one of the fins was missing and only the shaft was there.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  7. GhostriderIII

GhostriderIII Senior Member

Thanks. It gives better perspective of the two products

Capt J: It's why we use the SeaKeepers. We don't need pitch and yaw stability at 30kts, but at much lower speeds and at anchor. It makes for a very pleasurable night. I had built several sailboats in Panama with my brother = twin keels (aka bilge keels) essentially doing what those fins do - except they are fixed rigid. Some were filled with lead or cement and others had fuel stored there. You can probably see one on the East Coast - the fiberglas sailboat called "Shibumi". Then there's the Bluebird of Thorne a steel pilothouse sailboat in the SLS.
  8. Gyro-Gale

Gyro-Gale New Member

Capt J - If the vessel is using the engine driven compressors those are quieter than the main engines. If the vessel is equipped with the electric compressor which is powered by the generator, we use a rotary compressor that is quieter than the generator.

Which ever company that was - converting the air system to hydraulics surely was not Gyro-Gale. The stabilizer fins never fall off by themselves, our fins do have a break-away design in the event they are struck by a heavy object or subjected to a heavy load by what is floating around the ocean. Every time a fin is missing from a vessel - know that our equipment sacrificed itself for the greater good of the vessel. The safety of all those on board and that the vessel stays afloat to be hauled and serviced is far more important.

I am sure you have heard of the many stories of hydraulic stabilizers being broken off: A) The shaft being pulled out and sinking the boat or B) Physically breaking a piece of the boat and sinking the boat.
  9. mike Hartley

mike Hartley New Member

Hi Zeyad,
    I am back to Florida tomorrow. I would like to stop in either tomorrow or Friday afternoon possibly and chat to review your upgrade products.
  10. mike Hartley

mike Hartley New Member

Appreciate everyone's views and suggestions on the forum! I will be looking at all options to try and see what fits my needs and works as I expect.
  11. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Mighty impressive that a manufacturer will respond directly to an end users needs on YF. It speaks volumes to the level of involvement and readership that this site garners. Two thumbs up!! :)
  12. Joe da wrench

Joe da wrench New Member

Yes it does.
  13. mike Hartley

mike Hartley New Member

Somewhat expensive upgrade...and I have no experience with stabilizers on my smaller previous yachts...so really appreciate the info, spirited views
  14. mike Hartley

mike Hartley New Member

Not sure why other thread was locked.....but here is an update:

Alot of upgrades were done (very overdue in timeline to get done) but it finally got finished.

We decided on upgrading the 19 year old Gyro Gale stabilizers on our 76 ft Lazzara . We looked at Naiid and Trac and ultimately gave a try on the Gyro Gale replacement zero speed system with a new Rotary compressor. The compressor is very quiet, the tab Fins are twice the size of the old fins ( 4) nearly 7 sq.ft each, and new electronic zero speed box.

We made 1000 mile run from Florida to MD with 2 captains sharing duty and we were thoroughly impressed. Ran in 4 to 5 ft seas as far off coast as 160 miles with rain and storms and the stabilizers worked very well. Eliminated the body roll dramtically. We anchored and the same result.

While the "old" setup didn't work when we bought the yacht, The New Gyro Gale system was at 1/2 the cost and more over Trac and Naiid. We also didnt have to plug 4 holes and make 2 new ones as the Trac were only 2 fins. Trac required alot of additional work. Hydraulic fluid being added was also a concern and The new Gyro gale system was alot easier. We had reservation but the 1000 trip anchored a good decision and was well worth it!
    We are very pleased with the Stabilizers! I know everyone has expressed opinions on the 20 year old fins....but these performed for us extremely well!

Just a FYI for everyone.
  15. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Your latest post has been merged with the original thread, which was locked when it became promotional.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.