Click for JetForums Click for Llebroc Click for Seacoast Click for Nordhavn Click for Cross

76' Lazzara; New Trac stabilizers

Discussion in 'Lazzara Yacht' started by mike Hartley, Feb 23, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike Hartley

mike Hartley New Member

we finally decided and bought a 2000 76 ft Lazzara yacht.

Probably keeping the boat in the Stuart area. Looking for companies anyone can recommend to do some of the following;
    1) Remove the Gyro gale stabilizers and install Star abt zero speed stabilizers
    2) New headliners and wall panels
    3) New TnT or some other hydraulic tender lift
    4) teak deck replacement
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Being in Stuart, probably American Custom Yachts would be the best yard to do what you're looking to do. At least for the stabilizers. I'm not familiar with too many sub contractors out of that area. Your best bet might be to bring the boat down to Palm Beach or Fort Lauderdale.
  3. mike Hartley

mike Hartley New Member

bringing it to any port in Florida is no issue. Thanks.... I'll reach out to them. Trying to get some ideas on costs for upgrades and who is ggod at these upgrades/refit work.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I ll second American Customs. Never used them but they have a solid reputation.

Trac stabs work very well (i run a 2009 84) and have a zero speed option. You could also look at gyros.
  5. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Three capable yards in the Stuart area.
    Apex Marine at Britt Point Marina, Stuart.
    Hinckley Company , Stuart
    American Custom Yachts, Stuart.

Plan a budget, scope of work outline, lead time needed for order and delivery of desired equipment, time line for in the water work and work on the hard and have all three yards give you a bid on the work as you'll be surprised at the differences. Be as detailed as possible and ask for detailed quotations. All three of theses yards have solid reputations and are more than capable to carry out the work listed. Don't go into any of these items or yards as T&M/ time and materials.
  6. mike Hartley

mike Hartley New Member

Thanks Captholli, Ive gotten 1 price and have budget numbers, just didn't know who is good and a good reputation, in Florida for this yacht. Thanks!
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Replacing the Velcro fabric that hold the panels and ceilings isn’t cheap... it s also messy as you need to scrape the old glue off the base. one work around I ve had good results with is to staple the existing Veltex back on.
  8. mike Hartley

mike Hartley New Member

Ive gotten a labor # of just over 3K approx for office area or each guest bedroom plus fabric costs.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

What's wrong with the Gyro gale stabilizers? Disposal plan?
  10. mike Hartley

mike Hartley New Member

The gyro gale just didnt impress me as even making any difference, yet the ABT ones on an 80 ft I was on was a vast roll improvement plus I want to add zero speed. Havent decided on a disposal plan...but open to all offers..:)
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The 76' Lazzarra REALLY needs good stabilizers. I was coming out of Port Everglades on a calm day at 20 knots and we have a 72' merritt pass us from behind on plane about 100 yards off of our side and it rocked us so bad with the stabilizers on, the Uline refrigerator door flung open and all of the soda's and waters shot across the flybridge and hit the flybridge side (not the floor) before landing on the floor and rolling around.

The Gyro gale were complete junk. Air powered and in a moderate to rough sea state the force against the fins would actually compress the air in the lines and really limit their effectiveness. They also had lots of issues of filling with water and delaminating from the shaft and sometimes the fins even fell off of the shaft.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  12. GhostriderIII

GhostriderIII Senior Member

I have used Sea Keepers on several tugs and larger gulets. Works wonders - a level platform when others like to commit sucide sweezing btwn us and the tow.
    https://seakeeper.com/products/
  13. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Re-fitting Rate gyros into an existing 50 meter and under vessel can be problematic space wise for the benefit gained at higher than displacement speeds. Really difficult to carve out technical space for a sea keeper and most times wind up in the accommodations somewhere. When you have an existing platform that's fin stabilized and already has the actuator gusset box's installed than a refit to a zero speed system while not entirely without mods will go smoothly by comparison. I believe that Veem is the only manufacturer of stab. gyros that will accommodate vessel's with higher speeds stabilization through Veem's new systems with much higher gyro mass RPM.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  14. mike Hartley

mike Hartley New Member

I think Im set on ABT zero speed, proven on Lazzaras...
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I was hoping they may have worked on your 76 and then work on my 58.
    Still shopping for a used set of something for my fat 58 Bert MY.
    I can't afford a new set and retiring again soon.
  16. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

Ok, so who can chime in on what this man got cost for parts and labor? Ballpark?
  17. GhostriderIII

GhostriderIII Senior Member

J
    For the Seakeeper 26 is $167k + installation - which in our yard is $20k on a brand new boat. $10k more on an existing hull. Eliminating that factor I'd say a least $150k should cover everything. But he'd have to bring it to us.
  18. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

Great info. So I wonder what the cost would be for zero fins
  19. mike Hartley

mike Hartley New Member

ABT zero speed a lot less than that number, I have been quoted.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.